Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak X
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 77 reader reviews for The Book Thief

Susan

Heartwrenching...
This is an incredibly well crafted book - one that I purchased for my personal collection & which I have now read a total of 3 times - it speaks to the heart, draws the reader into the darkest of times & allows one to experience the depth of human emotion in so many ways. Beautifully written, from a perspective I've not seen before, with death as its narrator, one feels as "he" is totally real & almost a feeling being, using colors to describe souls.

Least we forget history, may we realize the power of words...be sure to read the story with the novel, "The Word Shaker," for it is starkly true - Hitler used words to capture the trust of his people & led them like sheep to the slaughter in a bloody parade...(another lesson to be heeded), it is a deeply moving novel & in my opinion a must read for young adults as well as adults. It is one of the most powerful novels I've had the pleasure to read.
Mindy

The Book Thief
This book is simply amazing. It combines humor with a serious situation, and puts the ideals in such a way that authors rarely dare to publish. I recommend it for everyone.
Ashley

A Book of Emotions
The Book Thief made me laugh, cry and smile. Liesel grabs your hand and doesn't let go until the book finishes. Death describes every scene with a touch of love. I think this book was one of the best I've ever read and I would recommend it to anyone.
Susan

Beautiful
I absolutely loved this book. How soon we forget that just 65 -70 years ago people lived with such horror. This book gave us hope for those who survived Hitlers relentless stupidity. I didn't want this book to end and it made me cry like no other book has ever done. I recommend this book to adults and of course young adults. Markus Zusak is my new favorite writer. Great work.
Dr. Allen

A Book to "Steal" Your Heart
Words are powerful objects which when harnessed, can give their master immense power and can change the world for the better...or for the worse. This is the overall theme of Markus Zusak's novel, The Book Thief. The novel follows a young woman as she struggles with living in Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler. Liesel Meminger, loses every single member of her family to Death (who, in fact happens to be the narrator of the story), and becomes a foster child. She is adopted by Hans and Rosa Hubermann, and comes to live in Molching, a small town outside of the German city of Munich. Liesel has difficulty coping with the difficulties of life, love, and loss until she learns to read. She then develops a love for books, and will even steal to get them (hence, the title "The Book Thief"). The novel follows Liesel's footsteps throughout her life of excitement, love, fear, and death, and also includes interesting commentaries by Death along the way. Death too, has his own stories to tell and in many ways Zusak succeeds in an everlasting literary struggle by being able to "fill in the blanks" of the story and therefore make the reader omniscient and all-knowing. Overall, Death and Zusak together help tell the unforgettably heart-wrenching tale of just one German girl during the height of World War II as she learns just how powerful words can be.
Judy Halperin

The Book Thief
If I could I would give this book much more than the "Very Good" option offered. I haven't yet got to the end, but I have to to say that it is definitely one of the best books that I have read in my lifetime.
Bob

Great book
The book, The Book Thief is a great and heartbreaking book. Markus Zusak is a wonderful and passionate writer. I'd rate his on my top 5 favorite authors.
Johnny

Book Thief Review
I love how Zusak puts little small bits of information in the middle of his writing so you could understand the story more. It is also one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life.

• Book Jacket: Divide Me By Zero
    Divide Me By Zero
    by Lara Vapnyar
    Divide Me By Zero begins with an encounter between the narrator, Katya Geller, a 40-something mother...
  • Book Jacket: Mighty Justice
    Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree , Katie McCabe
    What it's about:
    Dovey Johnson Roundtree was one of two lawyers who won the landmark case "Sarah ...
  • Book Jacket: The Seine
    The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino
    Of the 24 members who reviewed Elaine Sciolino's The Seine: The River that Made Paris for BookBrowse...
  • Book Jacket: Fireborne
    Fireborne
    by Rosaria Munda
    Inspired by classical political theory and the French Revolution, Rosaria Munda's YA debut Fireborne...

Mighty Justice
    by Dovey Johnson Roundtree & Katie McCabe

An inspiring life story that speaks urgently to our troubled times.

The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino

"A soulful, transformative voyage along the body of water that defines the City of Light."
    —Lauren Collins

Win Home for Erring and Outcast Girls

From the author of
Calling Me Home

An emotionally raw and resonant story of two young women connected by a home for "fallen girls," and inspired by historical events.

W G Up M C D