Reader reviews and comments on The Book Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak X
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Mar 2006, 560 pages
    Sep 2007, 576 pages

There are currently 77 reader reviews for The Book Thief

historical reader

heartwarming
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is a chilling story about a little girl that lost her brother and was sent to live with foster parents. She tells her life story through the Holocaust and her best friends that she manages to make during the holocaust. I highly recommend this book to everyone who is interested in the Holocaust.
Maz

The Book Thief
A great read! A different style. In the way Joanne Harris presents us with tastes and smells, the author paints for us with colours that relay almost as much as the words.
ILOVEBOOKS

5 Stars All the Way!
This Book makes you laugh, makes you cry, and introduces you to a new way of thinking. From it's exiting plot to lovable characters...Book Thief all The way!
Michaela Adams-Kalama

Absolutely Stunning!
This book is a masterpiece, created by the artist himself, Markus Zusak. This novel is impossible to put down once you start reading from the very first page. It's a mind-blowing story told from Death's point of view that makes you think about your own life, and it WILL make an impact in your life.
I highly recommend it to everyone, even those who don't read. It's a must read.
Marie

The Book Thief
This book was just amazingly good. When I received it as a gift I didn't think much of it and put it off for a while. But one day I finally picked it up and couldn't put it down. This book literally made and laugh out loud and bawl my eyes out, and I am not just saying that. Everyone should read this book!!
MUSICofFAITH

Wonderful!
Markus is an outstanding author for many reasons. He uses foreshadowing to the point where he often blatantly reveals what is going to happen in the book, much to the irritation of some readers. However, this technique makes the reader focus on the character development as they approach these already known events. As a busy 17-year-old, I hardly have time to read anymore. This book, however, was worth the time out of my schedule. I've emerged with a new perspective on WWII, new techniques to use in my own writing, and with an improved philosophy of humanity. Highly recommended.
Erica

The Book Thief 5 Stars
The Book Thief was an astounding book! I am 13 and have read this book twice. The first was assigned, but I loved it so much I had to read it again and I am planning on reading it a 3rd time! It never gets old! You may be older and thinking, "If a young person likes this, I must not!" but I'll have you know I am an advanced reader and do believe that it fits anyone's compatibility of 13 years. The book was enlightening and has some suspense. It's sad at times but otherwise an intriguing read. I LOVED The Book Thief and hope to read it a 3rd time!
Elizabeth

Heartwrenching
What a great book even with all the heartache and pain of the characters....the characters are unforgettable....I didn't want the book to end......the idea of death being narrator was quite unique.

I can't believe this is a YA book, though....I think it is pretty intense.

• Book Jacket: Feast Your Eyes
    Feast Your Eyes
    by Myla Goldberg
    Myla Goldberg's latest novel, Feast Your Eyes, is ostensibly about the works of fictional ...
  • Book Jacket: Greek to Me
    Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris
    Mary Norris' Greek to Me received an overwhelmingly favorable response from our First Impression ...
  • Book Jacket: Miracle Creek
    Miracle Creek
    by Angie Kim
    Miracle Creek, the debut novel from Angie Kim, hinges on the mysterious explosion of an oxygen tank....
  • Book Jacket: Courting Mr. Lincoln
    Courting Mr. Lincoln
    by Louis Bayard
    19 out of 21 of our First Impression Reviewers rated Louis Bayard's latest novel, Courting Mr. ...

Women Rowing North
    by Mary Pipher

The instant New York Times bestseller from the author of Reviving Ophelia.

Book Club
Her Kind of Case
by Jeanne Winer

A highly-recommended emotion-filled legal drama with three starred reviews!

Win Miracle Creek

My husband asked me to lie. Not a big lie...

A thrilling debut novel for fans of Liane Moriarty and Celeste Ng.

I I T S Form O F