MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The City of Ember, plus links to write your own review.

The City of Ember

May 2004, 270 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The City of Ember

Anonymous

Very well wrote
This masterpiece by Jeanne DuPrau is very good for dystopian fans. Very good voice and choice of words. A very satisfying ending.

Five Out of Five!!!
Janice

Thoroughly enjoyed, Recommend to anyone
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The City of Ember. The storyline follows the standard tale of adolescent children who are brave and smart enough to try and solve their people’s problem. Even though the story has that same skeletal structure, the plot itself is more unique. This book is geared towards readers in the age range of the main characters, 12 years old, but I found the novel interesting enough to read in a matter of days.

There is a good amount of suspense and mystery that could provide critical and creative thinking for the young readers; as well as the possibly of gaining bravery from the main characters. I felt like there were many words that would help broaden the young reader’s vocabularies as well. The story has some good depth to it, but some of the bumps in the journey are solved relatively easily—but that is to be expected for a story for this age group. There are three more books in the series, and the end of this book left me with a desire to read the second one. There are no inappropriate parts of the story that I would be embarrassed for young people to read. I think The City of Ember is a great book and would recommend it to anyone; it’s a good story and would be an enjoyable read for many different age groups.

I would have preferred having the main characters be in their early 20’s as opposed to 12-year-olds; I felt that would have made the story seem more realistic, but that’s not the age group it was intended for, nor is it necessarily realistic.
Zach

The city ofEmber
One of the greatest books I have read, for ages 9-13.
Inga

Fantastic book
This book is full of surprises and it is very interesting. ;))
sajiya

city of ember
I think the City of Ember is the most amazing book I have ever read.
me

City of Ember
I think that the City of Ember was a fantastic read for any age!
bookworm

city of ember
I haven't read this book in a while, but I have already read it twice in my lifetime and I really must say it was such an amazing book. I think that these series really captivates an audience and it makes you really want to read more. It's romantic, adventurous and thrilling all at the same time. The story line and concept and every little detail makes this book all the worth while! If you haven't read this book yet, trust me, it is VERY WELL WRITTEN. For those of you who may be Twilight fans, you will probably fall in love with this book because it has the same kind of mystery writing , if you know what i mean. It may be in the eyes of a child, but trust me it's for all. Why do you think they made a movie of it!
Maddie Woeste

The City Of Ember
I thought that that book was great!!!!The story was excellent. It made perfect sense.

• Book Jacket: American Dirt
    American Dirt
    by Jeanine Cummins
    Jeanine Cummins' American Dirt hasn't just been positively reviewed by BookBrowse First Impressions ...
  • Book Jacket: In the Dream House
    In the Dream House
    by Carmen Maria Machado
    In the introduction to In the Dream House, Carmen Maria Machado (a National Book Award finalist for ...
  • Book Jacket: Father of Lions
    Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan
    Our readers have given high marks to Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan. Out of 21 reviewers, 18 ...
    Girl, Woman, Other
    by Bernardine Evaristo
    As we meet Amma, a 50-something playwright finally experiencing mainstream success in Bernardine ...

Evening in Paradise
by Lucia Berlin

"Berlin's new book is a marvel, filled with deeply touching stories about lives on the fringes."—NPR

You Were There Too
    by Colleen Oakley

Acclaimed author Colleen Oakley delivers a heart-wrenching and unforgettable love story.

Remembrance
    by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Win The Adventurer's Son

Publishing Soon!
The Adventurer's Son

"A brave and marvelous book. A page-turner that will rip your heart out."
--Jon Krakauer