Reader reviews and comments on The City of Ember, plus links to write your own review.

The City of Ember

May 2004, 270 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The City of Ember

Anonymous

Very well wrote
This masterpiece by Jeanne DuPrau is very good for dystopian fans. Very good voice and choice of words. A very satisfying ending.

Five Out of Five!!!
Janice

Thoroughly enjoyed, Recommend to anyone
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The City of Ember. The storyline follows the standard tale of adolescent children who are brave and smart enough to try and solve their people’s problem. Even though the story has that same skeletal structure, the plot itself is more unique. This book is geared towards readers in the age range of the main characters, 12 years old, but I found the novel interesting enough to read in a matter of days.

There is a good amount of suspense and mystery that could provide critical and creative thinking for the young readers; as well as the possibly of gaining bravery from the main characters. I felt like there were many words that would help broaden the young reader’s vocabularies as well. The story has some good depth to it, but some of the bumps in the journey are solved relatively easily—but that is to be expected for a story for this age group. There are three more books in the series, and the end of this book left me with a desire to read the second one. There are no inappropriate parts of the story that I would be embarrassed for young people to read. I think The City of Ember is a great book and would recommend it to anyone; it’s a good story and would be an enjoyable read for many different age groups.

I would have preferred having the main characters be in their early 20’s as opposed to 12-year-olds; I felt that would have made the story seem more realistic, but that’s not the age group it was intended for, nor is it necessarily realistic.
Zach

The city ofEmber
One of the greatest books I have read, for ages 9-13.
Inga

Fantastic book
This book is full of surprises and it is very interesting. ;))
sajiya

city of ember
I think the City of Ember is the most amazing book I have ever read.
me

City of Ember
I think that the City of Ember was a fantastic read for any age!
bookworm

city of ember
I haven't read this book in a while, but I have already read it twice in my lifetime and I really must say it was such an amazing book. I think that these series really captivates an audience and it makes you really want to read more. It's romantic, adventurous and thrilling all at the same time. The story line and concept and every little detail makes this book all the worth while! If you haven't read this book yet, trust me, it is VERY WELL WRITTEN. For those of you who may be Twilight fans, you will probably fall in love with this book because it has the same kind of mystery writing , if you know what i mean. It may be in the eyes of a child, but trust me it's for all. Why do you think they made a movie of it!
Maddie Woeste

The City Of Ember
I thought that that book was great!!!!The story was excellent. It made perfect sense.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C