Reader reviews and comments on The City of Ember, plus links to write your own review.

The City of Ember

May 2004, 270 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The City of Ember

Anonymous

Very well wrote
This masterpiece by Jeanne DuPrau is very good for dystopian fans. Very good voice and choice of words. A very satisfying ending.

Five Out of Five!!!
Janice

Thoroughly enjoyed, Recommend to anyone
I thoroughly enjoyed reading The City of Ember. The storyline follows the standard tale of adolescent children who are brave and smart enough to try and solve their people’s problem. Even though the story has that same skeletal structure, the plot itself is more unique. This book is geared towards readers in the age range of the main characters, 12 years old, but I found the novel interesting enough to read in a matter of days.

There is a good amount of suspense and mystery that could provide critical and creative thinking for the young readers; as well as the possibly of gaining bravery from the main characters. I felt like there were many words that would help broaden the young reader’s vocabularies as well. The story has some good depth to it, but some of the bumps in the journey are solved relatively easily—but that is to be expected for a story for this age group. There are three more books in the series, and the end of this book left me with a desire to read the second one. There are no inappropriate parts of the story that I would be embarrassed for young people to read. I think The City of Ember is a great book and would recommend it to anyone; it’s a good story and would be an enjoyable read for many different age groups.

I would have preferred having the main characters be in their early 20’s as opposed to 12-year-olds; I felt that would have made the story seem more realistic, but that’s not the age group it was intended for, nor is it necessarily realistic.
Zach

The city ofEmber
One of the greatest books I have read, for ages 9-13.
Inga

Fantastic book
This book is full of surprises and it is very interesting. ;))
sajiya

city of ember
I think the City of Ember is the most amazing book I have ever read.
me

City of Ember
I think that the City of Ember was a fantastic read for any age!
bookworm

city of ember
I haven't read this book in a while, but I have already read it twice in my lifetime and I really must say it was such an amazing book. I think that these series really captivates an audience and it makes you really want to read more. It's romantic, adventurous and thrilling all at the same time. The story line and concept and every little detail makes this book all the worth while! If you haven't read this book yet, trust me, it is VERY WELL WRITTEN. For those of you who may be Twilight fans, you will probably fall in love with this book because it has the same kind of mystery writing , if you know what i mean. It may be in the eyes of a child, but trust me it's for all. Why do you think they made a movie of it!
Maddie Woeste

The City Of Ember
I thought that that book was great!!!!The story was excellent. It made perfect sense.

• Book Jacket: The World That We Knew
    The World That We Knew
    by Alice Hoffman
    Alice Hoffman's sparkling prose and immersive descriptions of place summon readers into World War II...
  • Book Jacket: Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
    by Olga Tokarczuk
    A subversive feminist noir mystery set in a remote Polish village, Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of...
  • Book Jacket: The World Doesn't Require You
    The World Doesn't Require You
    by Rion Amilcar Scott
    You can't move for young authors being marketed as "unique," "bold" and "visionary" these days. So ...
  • Book Jacket: The Long Call
    The Long Call
    by Ann Cleeves
    Penning a great murder mystery seems like it would be particularly challenging. The story often fits...

Ordinary Girls
    by Jaquira Díaz

Reminiscent of Tara Westover's Educate and Roxane Gay's Hunger--a memoir that reads as electrically as a novel.

The Seine
    by Elaine Sciolino

"A soulful, transformative voyage along the body of water that defines the City of Light."
    —Lauren Collins

Win The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

The Girl Who Reads on the Métro

An enchanting story for fans of The Little Paris Bookshop and The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

L, Damn L, A S