Reader reviews and comments on The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

The Historian

by Elizabeth Kostova

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova X
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Jun 2005, 656 pages
    Oct 2006, 688 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Historian

jimmy from b&n (09/21/05)

good but not great
overall it was a nice read. i was a bit slow through the entire book, after 100 pages i still didn't get into the characters much. Elizabeth Kostova didn't give me enough about the main characters for me to want to like them, although i did try. although the pace is slow it still is a solid read. turns out to be a fun adventure. i started with da vinci code then went onto angels and deamons and rule of 4 now the historian. if you like the books i mentioned earlier, the historian will be good keep you busy for 642 pages
CC (09/20/05)

This book is now my is just as good as Bram Stoker's Dracula maybe even better
sharik (08/27/05)

What a bore!
This boring, huge concoction of a book is too heavy to take it to the beach and too false to consider it a serious historical research. It was clearly written on a wave of Dan Brown's bestseller' popularity, but doesn't have quiet the same fast pace in plot development. Of course, everything goes when it comes to making a buck, but Kosova' pretenciose ignorance is not balanced with vivid imagination: it is too predictable and plain boring.
Women who watch Ophra show would be delighted, though;
No dought, it would be soon on her list. You must read it if you want to sound like an "intellectual" or have something to talk to your hairstylist.
Not much fun for an intelligent reader or any true book-lover. Count Dracula would suck her dry, in case he would have a chance. No thanks.
Andy (07/25/05)

Suspense by definition
This is one of the greatest books I have ever read. I am not one to read, but this one kept my attention and the pages turning. I carried it to work to read at lunch or when ever i could, took it in the car to read at red lights, and stayed up late with it. The way Elizabeth takes you from just the Two main character and develops it into a another stary, and then another, and another, and then finally all of the stories end at the same place with a triumph. And that is what this book was a historic triumph for Elizabeth korstova.
Brian (07/12/05)

Enjoyed it
This book was a solid 3-1/2 to 4 for me. It tends to slow towards the middle & the ending could have been a bit better, but overall I enjoyed it.

Folks looking for a Dracula horror book or for the next Da Vinci Code will probably be a bit disappointed by this work. I've seen some describe it as boring, but would disagree. I'm a big reader of history books & in a way that's how this novel reads. It's a fairly quick read too; it grabbed me enough that I was done in a couple of days.

A good solid effort for a first time author, I look forward to seeing what she does next.
katy (06/29/05)

Keeps you reading.
I truly enjoyed this book. And I have never really been into this subject before but it has definetly sparked an interest. It has more than one story going at a time so it hardly ever gets boring. A true page turner in my opinion, I found it difficult to ever want to put down. And despite its length I was finishd within three days only to wish I could read on! I definetly would and have recommend this book to others.

• Book Jacket: Women & Power