Reader reviews and comments on The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

The Historian

by Elizabeth Kostova

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Jun 2005, 656 pages
    Oct 2006, 688 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Historian

Judy R (06/25/10)

THE HISTORIAN
This was a book club pick. Dracula! Creepy!! But.... when I got into it I found it hypnotic and finished it in 2 days. The historical aspect of Dracula was fascinating. It was hard to believe it came from actual letters/events but in reading the acknowledgments some of the people were given credit. This would be a great movie.
Apollo (06/03/10)

An awesome book
I came across this book unexpectently and finished it in two days tops - the book's really great
Megan M. (03/24/10)

Almost Done But Love It
I actually have not finished this book. It sounds bad since I have already given this book a 5 out of 5 but it seems great. I only have 200 pages left but the 700 I have read have been FANTASMICAL! I came across this book unexpectedly. I was just browsing through the base ,crappy, library and I saw something that said "The Historian". I love history and the cover was mystifying so I looked at it. I actually had no idea it had anything to do with vampires, although I do love a good vampire book. ----blah blah blah. Enough of that said. But this book is really good. I can't believe people have rated this book under a 3! The only reason you want to put this book down is to get a grip of yourself. You are like, "o.m.g. this book is opening up my eyes in a whole new way, and it's kind of scaring me too." I almost actually put the book in the freezer once I looked online at what Vlad looked like.. brr....still getting goosebumps. But yeah! Read it!
But you don't have to take it from me...I'm "just a 13 year old who doesn't understand literature"
well, PEACE
Cynthia (11/25/09)

A must Read
I found this book in a second hand store in 2008. I finally got around to reading it and it is such a good book. I could not put it down. I was so drawn in by this book.
ora pihema (11/04/09)

the historian
A gripping and fascinating adventure of one young girl's obsession with knowing who her parents really were/are. The delving into the idea of Dracula as a modern day belief so early on in the book, initially can make the reader skeptical; however, I felt the execution (excuse the pun) of it was indeed intoxicating. I especially loved the lesser character of the mother`s mother, the reader gets a sense of organic narrative as though we are sitting down at her humble kitchen table, and being told a story, that although is as old as humanity, we can't help listening to again. A love story.
The seductiveness as we meander our way across Eastern Europe, untainted and untouched by lack of language and passports, the characters obviously possessing a magic about them that amplifies as they near their crescendo into Dracula`s lair.
But also the labyrinth from which the story unfolds, the present with the past, truth from fiction and fantasy with narrative, entwines itself by leaving the reader asking: Could it be true? and if not, why not?
Steven MacComas (07/30/09)

Very engaging read
Excellent story line. I would compare this work to the writing of Anne Rice without all the gay stuff. Excellent blend of history and fiction. A must read for the legion of vampire lovers out there.
Carol Kirk (05/02/09)

Excellent
I've read a couple of the negative reviews and have wondered if they and I have read the same book! Yes, nothing too dastardly BUT what a read, I couldn't put it down. it was interesting and gripping, the historical references good and the story that only the imagination could only put in between the lines. I love a read that sets the imagination going, to me its the sign of a truly good story teller. An excellent read, I thoroughly recommend it!
Dani California (04/21/09)

Amazing!!!
I loved this book! I was extremely interested from the beginning and I enjoyed every minute of reading it!

• Book Jacket: The Dark Flood Rises

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Choose an author as you would a friend.

O My D B