Reader reviews and comments on The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

The Historian

by Elizabeth Kostova

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Jun 2005, 656 pages
    Oct 2006, 688 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Historian

A reader (01/03/07)

WOW!
Well written and intense, this book is one of the best that i have ever read. Kostova shows all sides of human nature; evil, good, nice, sexy, mean, etc. although dark at times, this read is a MUST!!
Shelby Magid (12/28/06)

Put it down!
The book may SEEM like a good story, but that's only until you read it. I am a book lover, especially of historical fiction. I was very excited to the read this book, until I actually did. Overall the book is interesting, but I suffered through actually reading it. Although there are good parts, you need to search hard to find them. The author has so much to say, and jams it all in. Big words are used when they are not needed.. It was a disappointment. If you have nothing else to read, go for it! It's not a bad book, just not presented well.
adina (11/01/06)

Very poor book!!!!
As a Romanian and Transylvanian native I did not like this book at all....it is too long...it jumps from one character to another, same name, how confusing..I want to make one thing clear..Vlad Tepes (DRACULA )was one of the best rulers of my country, during his time all the thieves, cheats, people that wanted my country to be put under the ruling of the Ottomans were the one that were impaled , not innocent honest peasants! I regret I paid $35 for this book!
Renata Sexton (09/22/06)

The Historian/Elizabeth Kostova
The Historian has a mysterious flavor from the first page. It is indeed a very long book but I could not keep myself from finishing it. I read several other books as I read The Historian--always coming back to find out what next?

I read half quickly and then obained a book on tape (CD) from my library and finished it while traveling to and from work.

There was quite a bit of description of exotic locales and a sense of one of those experiences that happens even when you yourself are disbelieving. It leaves you feeling that vampires might well have? or? exist.
auburnpeach (08/26/06)

was pulled into the story
Being thrown into a difficult period of my life; this book was just what the doctor ordered. I was able to lose myself in the story line; enjoyed the history and could envision clearly the scenery and characters. Kudos to the writer...look forward to reading more from her.
Sue (08/04/06)

The Historian by Elizabeth Kosova
This was an excellent read. You would have thought a 'revamp' on the Dracula theme would have been boring and I must admit I picked up this book half-heartedly but am I glad I did - the best written, the best story - inspiring and gripping come to mind. Gripping, the way it draws the reader in with a vivid style and a structure is fast paced and exciting. Inspiring - I intend to visit Romania and Istanbul - better than the Da Vinci Code - wonderful seductive descriptions. Please write more Elizabeth Kosova.
Marcel Catellier (07/23/06)

The Historian
I liked the book, "but" was bored at certain points. I like the story line, and the travel log through the former Eastern Europe. But the Story gets blurred because of the bouncing back and forth into time and bounching from one person's story to the next...But am still recomending it as a good read.
Looking forword to her next book..
mahima kaul (03/22/06)

Interesting in many ways
While I have to admit that she could have cut a few pages the book is really good. Not only does it have a great story about the Dracula myth but it also delves into historical research. At times it feels that a part of the book is this research- and for me it was great (student of history) because what might seem tedious all adds up in the long run-- more so if you're chasing something exciting like Dracula. Its also a historical travel guide, and so much more.

I'd recommend this to people. Of course I read it in one sitting because I have a lot to do this week and couldn't take too much time off- but it still remained quite solid.

• Book Jacket: Happiness
    Happiness
    by Heather Harpham
    Of the 53 reviews submitted for Happiness, 49 readers rated it a four- or five-star book for an ...
    My Name Is Leon
    by Kit De Waal
  • Book Jacket: New People
    New People
    by Danzy Senna

Little Nothing by Marisa Silver

A stunning, provocative new novel from New York Times bestselling author Marisa Silver

The Heart's Invisible Furies