We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of Magyk, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Magyk

Mar 2006, 592 pages

There are currently 35 reader reviews for Magyk

Gabriel Q

Great! =D
I am on the 4th book of the series and it has a enjoyable series. It captures you into the fantasy world and as I am a fan of fantasy, it has lured me in very strongly.

=D
Toni Williams

A real page turner
Magyk was a very good book. The make-believe words were a little weird and threw me off a little but otherwise it kept me picking up the book every chance I got. I recommend to everyone. I am 25 years old and I read it to help my brother with a report and I ended up enjoying it.
Ayal Oren

waiting for no. 3
Not all the ideas introduced in Magyk are original, but they all get an original twist, and that's quite a lot in my book. The chracters are realy wonderfully developed. The plot kept me going one chapter after the other. I'm starting Flyte as I write these words, and true to my title- waiting for the 3rd one to come. It was one of my best buying gambles of recent years.
zak

pretty good and im 14
even though it was for ages 9-12 i enjoyed the book. Even though it was a book that was similar to Harry Potter. I cant say anything about the book because I dont want to spoil it But maybe you can solve the mystery of septimus heap before the last page (of course I did). I wonder when the next books coming out cause I would really like to read it?
Lani

Youg reader (age 13)
This book has many exciting, wonderful, mysterious, humorous characters. The plot is wonderful with many twists and turns but is thoroughly explained. I think Angie Sage is a terrific, inspirational, imaginative writer and this book will make you want to jump off your seat, have an adventure and beg for the second book.
fantasy lover

it was just ok.
Yes you heard me right I said it was just OK. A lot of people get mad at me when I say it but to me she should have waited until Harry Potter finished. I did enjoy it though for the most part it was quiet a quick read and there wasn't a huge POINT to the whole book. And literature wise it sucked. If you want a real fantasy, read Lord of the Rings and the Dragonlance books those are good. But if you are the mild Narnia fantasy reader then you might like it.
rahul

Maybe High expectation level!
I started reading this book after finishing the Wheel of Time series till the 11th book and while I was waiting for "Towers of Midnight" to get delivered! I must say that the book is darn slow! Little exciting and way too dull :(
Candace

Where is it going?
I'm definitely a series reader. I love following characters and so I saw a pretty cover and reviews like "Move over Harry Potter" and I bought into it. I bought the first 4 books in one swipe (I read very quickly) and I am struggling to get through the first one.

The book jumps from one obstacle to the next, but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I now have about 50 pages left and I'm still wondering. What are they trying to do??? Why should I care??

I'm hoping that the next book picks up. I felt that the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull started out slow in the first book as well, but the next books got out of the slump. I hope this series does, because frankly I'm bored and find myself forcing my eyes to the page so I don't waste my money.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...
  • Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)