Reader reviews and comments on Eleven Minutes, plus links to write your own review.

by Paulo Coelho

Mar 2004, 288 pages
    Apr 2005, 304 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Eleven Minutes

leunammi (12/27/05)

i loved it!
it really had a life-enhancing effect on millions of people.
Ayonija (10/16/05)

One of the most beautiful books I have ever read
ELeven Minutes is such an amazing book. The beauty of the book lies in the way Paulo Coelho has differentiated "sex" from "love making". The best part of the book is the beginning.."Once upon a time, there was a prostitute called Maria. Wait a minute. "Once upon a time" is how all the best children's stories begin and "prostitute" is a word for adults. How can I start a book with this apparent contradiction? But since, at every moment of our lives, we all have one foot in a fairy tale and the other in the abyss, let's keep that beginning."I am a great fan of Paulo Coelho and truly love his books.
Nadia (07/21/05)

Honestly speaking i never heard of Paulo Coelho till a few months back. For my english class i had to write a book reveiw on an one book by Paulo Coelho. I went to the book shop and Eleven Minutes was the only book that was available. When i started reading the book, i just got addicted to it. It is really an amazing book.

After this i even read The Alchemist and presently i am reading Veronica Decides To Die. Now i am so much inspired by Paulo Coelho that i want to read all of his books.
anusha (02/11/05)

A beutiful book written in the most beutiful fashion possible.I have great respect for Paulo Coelho. Honestly, i use to hate reading books but one day i just picked up this book called "By the river Piedra I sat down and wept" (also by Paulo Coelho) and got hooked and now all I read is Paulo Coelho. Eleven Minutes is not just a book , its an experience, experienced for eleven minutes revealed. The most amazing thing about the book is that it truly explains the difference between "sex" and "making love". Virginity is deffinately an overrated virtue and that is what has been made abundantly clear through this book. A prostitue may sleep around with several people, but she's the one who truly knows what making love is all about because after having experienced so many men, there is only one man who makes her realise her divine self. Paulo Coelho has brought out the meaning of love in the most pure form, that which we call sex when mixed with true love is called "love making" and that is what this book makes you realise. This book makes you realise that its all within us, just not discovered.
Elisabeth (02/06/05)

I just can´t get out of my mind all the emotions and thoughts that this novel has triggered within me!!! Though the book is written in a simple, easy to read style, yet the topic is profound and difficult. A must read for anyone who needs to sort out things between sex - love - passion - morality - inner voice! I don´t think that the topic is over exploited at all as Coelho hinted in the introduction: The way he deals with the story of the girl Maria is new, modern - and extremely honest.

Just picture yourself that there is a man reflecting so deeply about what goes on in a woman´s mind!

There is a lot to find out about Paulo Coelho and his philosophy of life! Don´t miss on his novels but don´t miss on his online services either, they are all for free:

Paulo Coelho Official Website
Paulo Coelho Online Magazine
Paulo Coelho FanClub Website & Forums

So just to let you know: there is a great community out there (and in here, the www, too!) who is very much following what Paulo Coelho has to say. Last but not least, he is one of the great humanists of our days!

Love & Light,
Elisabeth
Kris (01/18/05)

As Coelho himself tells "the subject is over exploited"-which makes the novel a bit un interesting before we start itself. Definitely far below The Alchemist in terms of "innovativeness" of the ideas. Most of the plots are those which you can expect from a novel which deals with "prostitute" as a main character.

Eleven minutes- Tries to explore the threads which attach (or not attach) Love, Sex, Commitment, Affection, Fear, and Fate(!!?). Altogether an above average novel due to his conscious efforts to make the subject to be 'dealt differently' (It makes the novel a bit artificial too).

Worth a reading!!

Kris (krishnaa2001@yahoo.com )
chintan shah (12/24/04)

superb book on love,, more than anything else
Diana (12/18/04)

To be honest, I really liked this book...That's why I read it twice!!!

• Book Jacket: Here I Am
    Commonwealth
    by Ann Patchett

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review