Announcing our Top 20 Books of 2022

What readers think of Life of Pi, plus links to write your own review.

Life of Pi

by Yann Martel

Life of Pi by Yann Martel X
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

May 2002, 336 pages

May 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 82 reader reviews for Life of Pi

Alysia Hegg

The book Life of Pi writen by Yann Martle was a total page turner! I read it slow at first but ended up finishing it in a couple days. It helped show me how human beings need companionship to live healthily.While Pi was at sea for 277 days, he realized what he needed to do to stay alive and he went to any length to do it. In a way it seems hard to believe the story line because a man survived that long with a tiger on a lifeboat, but he did it! Over all, this was an excellent and suspensful story. I recommended it to EVERYONE!
Danielle Cse

I too believe the novel was partially about Pi's internal spiritual journey and struggle. I aslo believe it was about the will to survive. - A few days after he was thrown onto the life boat he was about to give up. It seemed obvious he would die a painful death from Richard Parker. However, he chose to continue on. Richard Parker being on the life boat gave Pi the will to live. Without Richard Parker I doubt Pi would have survived the ordeal. If he hadn't spent time wondering how he would feed Richard and how he would train him, he would have had hours to sit and dwell on what would happen next. Richard Parker is what kept Pi alive, along with Pi's strong sense of faith. These two things are how Pi made it through.
- Although there are a few events which are questionable, (such as the island) for the most part I believe the story is believeable, because of the detail and depth Yann included.
Anonymous

I found Life of Pi to be a thoughtful and humourous novel, but it just didn't strike me as being particularly interesting or exciting, elements I usually find worthy in a good read. However, I liked the way it explored the meaning of life, survival and faith in religion, but overall, it is not something I would recommend.

Life of Pi, by Yann Martel, to me was an interesting book. At first, I hated it, only because it was an assignment for an advanced class I was taking. After reading the entire book, I realized that I actually liked the book. I am not a religious type of person, at all, but this book brought things into perspective for me and made me think about certain things, I like that in a book. One thing i never understood, though, was the island, mysterious.

Kaitlyn (15 yrs.)
Sarah (16)

I found the beginning of the book quite slow. A good 'bed reader' during this paticular area to pick up when having problems sleeping.. you can fall asleep in no time. I found the discriptions of the animal eating animal quite disturbing. Part II of life of Pi I found was quite intresting although some repetition and talking i could of done without. The ending of Part II took a drastic change making it seem as if another book was accidently printed inside Life of Pi, though it did give a 'relief' and change of pace in the book. My favourite part overall was Part III, the humor was a good addition but Personally I'm still lost on who Pi was talking to in part II.

Overall I'd only recommend the book to certain readers because many would not be able to get through Part I or middle of Part II without skipping sections of putting the book down and moving on.

14 yrs. This book really rates more as a 3 1/2. It reminded me of My Side of the Mountain, except in the Pacific Ocean. This book leaves you wanting to read every detail about his truly amazing life on the sea. It was well writen. It's main flaws were that of my own, not the auther's, because I don't prefer the survival type books, and had I not read the introduction saying it the story was based on that of a real person's I couldn't have believed it!
Matthew

Interesting topic...writing style and technique is below par.
Bateau Serré

Though this really seemed like a dumbed-down version of The Old Man and The Sea, I think Martel has successfully forced the trite metaphor of instinct vs. humanity or fear vs. morality down our throats again. If I wanted to digest another saline-bathed tale of murderous, melancholic (yet hopeful) metaphors, I'll just reread Lord of The Flies.

The journey left me wanting to follow in the footsteps of Richard Parker; fleeing without bothering to look back.

Join and Save 20%!

Become a member and
discover exceptional books.

• Book Jacket: I'm the Girl
    I'm the Girl
    by Courtney Summers
    YA author Courtney Summers doesn't believe in shielding her teenage readers from the world's darkest...
  • Book Jacket: They're Going to Love You
    by Kevin Wilson

Members Recommend

The Family Izquierdo
    by Rubén Degollado

A masterful debut that weaves together the lives of three generations of a Mexican American family bound by love, and a curse.

W N, W Not

Cradles of the Reich
by Jennifer Coburn
Three women, a nation seduced by a madman, and the Nazi breeding program to create a so-called master race.

Courage - a perfect sensibility of the measure of danger, and a mental willingness to endure it.