What readers think of Life of Pi, plus links to write your own review.

Life of Pi

by Yann Martel

Life of Pi by Yann Martel X
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

May 2002, 336 pages

May 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 82 reader reviews for Life of Pi

tamar kogman

i loved the book so much! at first, like many, i didn't know what to make of it, and as a bit of an anti-religous person it seemed over-religous to me, but as soon as the second third started i got completely hooked and gobbled it up in know time, only to find that the somewhat dragging beginning was definitely necessary. i knew from the beginning that i was in for something big and that i had to get to the bottom of it. at the fantastic end i was absolutely perplexed and found the whole thing quite hard to digest, so i read about it on the internet a bit and this is what i make of it: this book is about the similarities and differences between humans and animals. it is about what it means to be alive, and further more, as a human being. we are after all just another living creature, just a very uniqe one. i think that's why in the center of the book stand zoology and religion-religion being one of the main things that set humans apart. the ending emphasizes this point, showing how the animals symbolize something in human nature. the ending didn't make me doubt much, it seemed to me pi was just trying to irritate the narrow-minded interviewers. but that probably was part of the point, concerning the opening of the novel. anyway, this is a fantastic book, about the love of life.
chrisc

A great book because it explores the meaning of life, death, and what it feels like to be human. The first third of the book seems like it is going nowwhere until you realize that it was setting up Pi's character and world that he will soon leave behind....By the time he is stranded out at sea, we genuinely care for him and his ordeal and stay till the end to see if he will make it through his harrowing journey.....Amazing....
Belgium

My name is Belgium and i am sixteen. The book starts out slow yet there is so much to gain from the begining that it is almost as good as the end. People often overlook this book as a childs tale of a boy on a lifeboat who befriends a tiger. These people could not be further from the truth. This book has no disney like qualities which is very clear when the animals are left to their own devices. There is no set age group for this book. At any age you can read it, ponder it, and take something away from it. The two closest comparisons i can draw from it are that it is a cross between the movie "Big Fish" and the book The Old Man and the Sea. People spend too long wondering if certain things are possible and picking apart details and fail to realize the deeper points the book is trying to make. I have often reread the ending of this book because i think that the ending is what makes this such a great book. I recomend this book to anyone and everyone. Enjoy.
Mellisa P

The best book I've read all year. I wanted more of the after-story and didn't want it to end.
Jennifer

Amazing and beautiful-- It's one of those books that forces you to THINK and feel-- It demands to be contemplated and digested after reading.
Sara

The Life of Pi is a book that really makes you think, makes you question the nature of human beings, God and religion, and truth. In response to the statement that the book is boring, it does get to be so about two-thirds of the way through, when Pi is on the raft. However, it picks up again once his new situation is firmly established. I think that it is difficult to continue reading at this point because the reader questions the believability of the plot after such a dramatic change. If you make it through this part, you will become absorbed in it. Yann Martel does an excellent job in setting up the plot, making everything seem credible and true. In the end, you will be satisfied by the book because of the underlying questions that it poses. Also, I was confused when I started reading because it is categorized as an animal adventure story, but this does not do it justice at all. The Life of Pi is so much more than a story about a boy in a raft on the Pacific. I felt that this book was one of the most worthwhile and meaningful books I have read, leaving you with new insights to the way life is when you are done.
aleyra

Life of Pi, was not a book that I read through my own intentions, it was a compulsary novel for my year 11 english class. Despite this fact, the book turned out to be one of the best books that I have read. The line between reality and fiction was so fine, that I seemed to believe everything despite it being unbelievable, if that makes sense. His style of writing, mixed with the Pi's character, put me in the story. I finished reading the book and started to imagine my own actions in a situation such as Pi's. It is a book that you cannot talk much on, without disrupting the essence of he book to readers, so I will leave you with this. It was great!
Lois

I found the book to be thoroughly entertaining, imaginative, and informative, especially in regards to knowing animal traits and survival. Yann Martel keeps you on the edge of your seat for the next exciting development in his story. The book is very descriptive, which in some instances was pretty gruesome, but that's life. It made it all the more realistic. It was also fascinating the way he brings together the three different religions into one person's belief and uses them for spiritual support throughout the book. I highly recommend this book for a good dose of humorous relief from the daily grind and to encourage us when we think we have problems!

Join and Save 20%!

by Thrity Umrigar

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, a new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

W N, W Not

Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.