We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of Life of Pi, plus links to write your own review.

Life of Pi

by Yann Martel

Life of Pi by Yann Martel X
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

May 2002, 336 pages

May 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 82 reader reviews for Life of Pi

Tina Alexander

I recently read life of pi for my ap english summer reading assignment. At first I wasnt to happy about it, i really didnt wabt to read over the summer.But then the book turned out to be great. The only part i didnt get was the ending, which story was true:the one with the animals or the one with the humans?I was thinking the one with the humans because he thouhgt of the story really quickly, and it was detailed......well I was confused on that part....and when he started crying. I'd definitly read it again and recommend it to anyone.
Billie Zahurak

A truly wonderful book...a must read. Martel's writing is beautiful and sad. I didn't want it to end.
Jason

Excellent. This should be required reading
Chuck

Insightful, yet mysterious. This novel is like the finest chedder. $9.00 for 300 grams of pure entertainment.
Anil

Fantastic. Many years from now people will speak of this book as we now speak about David Copperfield or Count of Monte Cristo or A Tale of two Cities.
Kristeena

I have read both Martel's novels, Life of Pi and Self. I found them extremely graphical and interesting. At no time was I bored. His books expressed my emotions, from happy, to angry, to depressed. His words made me feel what the character was feeling, and that I believe, is what a true novel should be like. Yann's now become my favourite author, and everyone should experience his way of writing.
Joel

Being a mathematician with a nose for good literature, this book intrigued me from the time I first heard about it. On hearing that this book was after the style of Italo Calvino, I knew that I had to read it. I was certainly not disappointed - the influence of the magic realist movement is not difficult to see, and the tale is both beautiful and thought provoking.
Amy

My book club met last night and "Life of Pi" kept us talking for hours. The reading guide was great!!!!!!! I would definitely recommend this book to all of my family and friends.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...
  • Book Jacket: Our Moon
    Our Moon
    by Rebecca Boyle
    In Our Moon: How Earth's Celestial Companion Transformed the Planet, Guided Evolution, and Made Us ...
  • Book Jacket: Neighbors and Other Stories
    Neighbors and Other Stories
    by Diane Oliver
    The history of American segregation, along with changes to it in the 1960s, is sometimes taught and ...
  • Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)