What readers think of Life of Pi, plus links to write your own review.

Life of Pi

by Yann Martel

Life of Pi by Yann Martel X
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

May 2002, 336 pages

May 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 82 reader reviews for Life of Pi

Chris

I loved the beginning and the middle of this book. That is why the ending was such a disappointment. I didn't find his philosophy subtle enough. I like to ponder over a great book after I am done, and draw my own conclusions. I felt the ending robbed me of that opportunity by the author's intentions being too obvious. If only it didn't have that final chapter...

I feel the book was too preposterous. A good childrens story but not for an adult. A hard read.
Tish (17)

As I began reading Life of Pi, I was utterly bored. I barely finished chapter 26 when I put the book down for three weeks. With about a month before school started up again, I picked the book up to finish the summer reading as I had not found any book notes on Life of Pi. I think I would have not read this book if it had not been assigned reading as I deter myself away from novels with some religious content. Although I did not enjoy this book, I am glad that I have read it because it was a change from reading the legal thrillers and murder mysteries that I have taken a liking to.
P.S. Chapter 97 is my favorite :)
what does it matter

i hated the book i read it and it took so long to read because it was so BORING. NEVER EVER read this book.
Cindy

This was one of the worst books i have read, my book club read it as our february pick and half of the people did not finish it. I have never picked up a book that I was unsure whether I was going to finish it or not. The majority of the book is on the raft and from the moment he got on the raft I wanted him off. Everything was explained in so much detail that it made for a extremly long and boring book. There was only one woman in our book club who actually enjoyed the book and we spent the meeting questioning her on why she enjoyed it and why we did not. I think that most people will give this book a high rating because of the awards that it received, not because of the content. Come on people, rock the boat a bit and don't follow the flock! Have you own opinions! Cheers

21 yrs old
Amber D

Davina - BookBrowse

WARNING!

In general we aim to remove plot spoilers from visitor's reviews, but in the case of Life of Pi this is proving impossible to do without deleting most of the reviews in their entirety. Therefore, if you have not yet read this book, I suggest you do not read these reviews. However, if you have read the book and are looking to share your opinions and read other people's views please read on!

Many people feel that this book is enjoyed only because of the presumption that it will be a good read due to its awards and prizes. I think this is a very shallow view point. This book is amazing and deep. The ending is perfect, for those who give it thought. This ending is what ties the book together. It is not a foolish attempt to make the book a twisted story, but a wise attempt to make us think. It is a huge part of the overall message of the book. And although the book may start off boring for those who don't give it a chance, it really becomes interesting, and i was hooked from the lifeboat incident all the way to the end. One of the best books I've ever read.
smazz

The novel Life of Pi is a story of a boys horrible faite. Pi, who is stranded on a boat with his best friend and worst enemy Richard Parker who is a wild Bengal tiger, has to find a way to survive. I believe this novel was one of the best I have read although it may seem wierd at some times. It has many components to it and many of them relate to my life. I have not found many books that relate to me as much as this one does. It has religion, faith, courage, strength and much much more. I rate this book very high on my list of novels to read before you die.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: After Sappho
    After Sappho
    by Selby Wynn Schwartz

"Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time."
    —Sappho, fragment ...

• Book Jacket: City Under One Roof
    City Under One Roof
    by Iris Yamashita
    When a disembodied arm and leg wash ashore in Point Mettier, Alaska, most residents assume they ...
  • Book Jacket: We Deserve Monuments
    We Deserve Monuments
    by Jas Hammonds
    Jas Hammonds' debut young adult novel We Deserve Monuments provides a fresh look at the coming-of-...
    Factory Girls
    by Leslie T. Chang
    Considering the articles in recent years regarding toy recalls or melamine-tainted milk ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

This Other Eden
    by Paul Harding

A novel inspired by the true story of Malaga Island from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Tinkers.

The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer & Josh Mensch

From two bestselling authors, the true story of the plot to kill Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill.

Moonrise Over New Jessup
    by Jamila Minnicks

"Jamila Minnicks pulled me into pages of history I'd never turned before."—Barbara Kingsolver

C To T Q

Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live