Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Did you like Alec Milius as a central character? If not, did your opinion of Alec affect your enjoyment of the book?
- Did the setting of the story - Spain, particularly Madrid - affect your enjoyment of the novel? What did you like about it? Dislike?
- The Spanish Game is written in the first person. What are the advantages and disadvantages of telling the story this way?
- Charles Cumming is a British author. Do you think American authors take a different approach to writing spy fiction?
- The issue of Basque separatism is central to the novel. Does this issue feel more, or less, relevant to you given the current state of international affairs?
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of St. Martin's Griffin.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.