Reader reviews and comments on Year of Wonders, plus links to write your own review.

A Novel of The Plague

Apr 2002, 320 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Year of Wonders

Elizabeth

Outstanding
Using this horrible era in history as the basis of the book, it takes you into the homes and into the lives of the people in the 1600's who had old myths about witchcraft, awful ways of curing illnesses, and describes their ignorance of medical procedures and cures and lack of them.

The characters are described in detail and are quite interesting. It definitely isn't a boring historical account of this epidemic...the weaving of the lives and the history makes you aware of what it was like to live during that period of time in Europe and encourages you to continue reading.
Elizabeth

Outstanding

Despite all of the trauma, I really liked the book.
Mav

Year of Wonders
It's rare that I can read a book more than once. This one I have read twice and will savour the next time I read it. I can't put my finger on why it's magical but it truly is. There is something so utterly engaging about the way it is written. It is sad but equally full of hope. It's a must read.
rebecca wood

absolutely amazing
I have just finished year of wonders and I would honestly recommend it to ANYONE! It is the most fascinating, interesting book I have ever read! I have been searching google about the plague and eyam..... and I would love someone to recommend me some books which are like this one!!

I cannot stress enough how much I loved it. Reading this book has also given me an insight about how they managed to live back in 1665 especially raising children, I too have 2 boys and I felt like I could relate to Anna's loss (how she felt). I was actually in tears......honestly!

That is my review and I LOVE THE BOOK!!
Jan

Year of Wonders
I have to disagree that 'too much imagination' has been used in this novel! Shakespeare wrote in the late 1500s and early 1600s, based many of his plays on historic events, threw in a huge dose of vivid imagination, and we have been reading, watching and loving his works ever since. So clearly use of imagination is not a modern phenomenon - Anna Frith is resourceful and adaptable, a strong woman in extraordinary circumstances. Even if you know your history there is no reason why you can't enjoy this work of fiction which takes its inspiration from historical facts, and more to the point is beautifully written. As an Englishwoman I am astounded at (Australian) Brooks' affinity with English as it was spoken in the midlands in the 1600s, and her eye for detail. Fantastic.
Sarah S

Year of Wonders
I could not put this book down, not for a willing second. Unbelievable desciption. The sadness, sorrow and suffering the characters endured seemed almost tangible. My favourite paragragh which summed their lives came early in the book:
" I have watched it (the sapling in the middle of the street) from its first seed leaves, wondering when someone would pull it out. No one has yet done so, and now it stands already a yard high. Footprints testify that we are all walking round it. I wonder if it is indifference, or whether, like me, others are so brimful of endings that they cannot bear to wrench even a scrawny sapling from its tenuous grip on ife"
Also the contrast in Mr Mompellion's character was shocking, yet so magnificently presented.
The ending to the novel, which i thought was extremely creative and believable, was truly fantastic.
I truly thank you Geraldine, for this certain masterpiece in literature. My personal opinion is that this book would make a fantastic motion picture...
Fiona Marquis-Kyle

This was simply the most moving non fiction I have read in years. I was enthralled throughout; there were no lulls in the narrative.
Kaitlyn

I thought this was book was great! I had to read it for a Grade 12 University English class for an ISU and it was definitly a good read! Thanks Geraldine Brooks!

• Book Jacket: The Pianist from Syria
    The Pianist from Syria
    by Aeham Ahmad
    Ahmad and his PianoAeham Ahmad became famous as the face of Syrian suffering when a photo of him playing piano in the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Smiling Man
    The Smiling Man
    by Joseph Knox
    Joseph Knox's latest turns on a simple premise: an unidentified and unidentifiable murdered man is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Heavens
    The Heavens
    by Sandra Newman
    I've been a big fan of Sandra Newman's writing ever since reading her 2014 novel The Country of Ice ...
  • Book Jacket: Sugar Run
    Sugar Run
    by Mesha Maren
    Mesha Maren's debut novel is a plunge into the depths of the dark Southern gothic with pulsing and ...

The Last Year of the War
    by Susan Meissner

A little-known story of WWII with great resonance for our times.

A People's History of Heaven
    by Mathangi Subramanian

A story of love and friendship, and fighting for the places we love.

Book Club
Girls Burn Brighter
by Shobha Rao

An extraordinary and heart-rending tale of two girls with all the odds against them.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Summer Country

Win up to 12 copies to share with friends or your book club!

A sweeping epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados.

D T T! Full S A!