What readers think of Year of Wonders, plus links to write your own review.

Year of Wonders

Aug 2001, 352 pages

Apr 2002, 320 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Year of Wonders

Denise Marie

This was a fabulous book. I had to read it for a History class in college and I couldn't put it down. I refuse to sell it back to the bookstore!!!
Annie

A wonderful book skillfully written and a page turner.
The characters were well fleshed out, and aroused sympathy- even the cruel ones. Although one basically knew what was going to happen, one was intrigued to see how it would unfold. Overall it is an optimistic story although the details are harrowing at times. The ending was unrealistic and I would have to mark it down for that. The rest of the book was supurb.
Kristen

A masterpiece.
Cathy Tailby

This book has lingered in my memory since I read it a year ago. It is about people living in a small community at a time that is remote to us now, when life was precarious, yet human relationships were treasured. I was watching a Channel 4 documentary last night about the Great Plague in London in 1665. Although that occurred in a huge city, the stories of human suffering (described from the historical records of one small parish) were similar to those in the book. The central character of the novel, Anna Frith, is heroic, as were some of those in real life who lived through those hardships, and I found that inspiring. The book rang true in its evocation of the way of life and language of the period, and it seems to have been based on considerable historical research of an actual event that afflicted a real village in England in the 17th century. The ending of the story is perhaps fanciful, but not totally incredible. A really good read!
Katie

This book is beautifully written. Although there are difficult, even gruesome events, the language is beautiful. I have read it twice and enjoyed it as much the second time because I just enjoyed her words and language so much.
Nan

What a gem. I couldn't put it down. I'm surprised there is no reading guide for this book. The main character Anna is inspirational. I really liked the 15th century setting. So interesting and unusual. Good lessons in faith and perseverance. I'd like to read about Anna later in life!
Carolyn Leoanrd

What a marvelous trip to 15th century England! I could hardly put the book down. The writing sings! I predict a great future with fame and fortune for Geraldine Brooks. She shows incredible writing talent. I'd love to meet her and can't wait to read her next book.
J Little

Awesome! Will use it with other novels about history for my English class this year!

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

The War Librarian
    by Addison Armstrong
    Emmaline Balakin believes in the power of the written word — books have changed her life. When...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Goose
    The Book of Goose
    by Yiyun Li
    Yiyun Li's The Book of Goose is a story of childhood friendship between narrator Agnès, a one-...
  • Book Jacket: Big Red
    Big Red
    by Jerome Charyn
    Jerome Charyn made his name as an author of detective novels, and over the years he has taken his ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, the inspiring new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

Book Club Giveaway!