Reader reviews and comments on The Unwanted, plus links to write your own review.

The Unwanted

by Kien Nguyen

The Unwanted by Kien Nguyen

Mar 2001, 352 pages
    Apr 2002, 368 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for The Unwanted

Lubna

It makes me cry !
I couldn't stop reading the book. When i was reading the book it seemed like i was going through the time with the writer. It touched me deep in my mind. Thanks Nguyen for sharing this horrible past.
Mar

The Unwanted by Kien Nguyen
This book left me heartbroken and stunned. There have been only a few books that have impacted me the way this book has. The poverty, abuse and tenacity of his spirit, leaves me ashamed of my own comfortable life. I wish there was a way to reach onto the pages of the book and comfort this child and to feed him. Since I cannot, I will remember that every day is an opportunity to help someone who is hurt and in need. Most people in the world are hungry, poor, alone and sick. We Americans (and others) have lives of incredible luxury that most others only dream of. My "problems" bring me humility when I read of others who have experienced real difficulty. Kien Nguyen, thank you for sharing your life and your vulnerability with us. My life is better having read your book.
Clif McCracken

Unwanted: Feeling of Superiority
Having just completed The Unwanted, I write this review with humiliation and disgrace. My sorrowful state is not for Kien Nguyen and the unwanted Ameriasian children of Vietnam, but for my own spoiled nature and the sheltered existence that I have been afforded in life. Nguyen's plight for escape from an unyielding and unsympathetic culture gives me a renewed respect for those whom I previously deemed as undesirable. His written words ring more harsh and truer than a Sunday sermon. Least we forget forgiveness and hard work is essential to achieving happiness.
Kim

Well written and highly recommended....
Teena

Kien's life story was told with such reminiscence and brilliance that will truly touch any reader’s heart. I love this book. I recommend this book to everyone. Great job Kien!
Angela

At first when I the first few words of this book, I was engrossed from the start. It tells a story of a young boy and his struggles to fit in. It is history told in a wonderful exciting way.
Tamara

When I first bought the book for one of my college English courses, I immediately thought I would dislike the book. Now there is *NO* way I'm selling it when the semester is over!
Marican

Kien Nguyen is in every aspect of the word a true survivor. Would be very interested in knowing what became of his family, did he keep in touch? Has he had the chance to meet his father? What are his brother, mother, and sister now doing? Has he gone back to Vietnam? What happened in the Philippines? Still many more stories to be told.
Could not put this book down, and did leave me with wanting to know more. Kien was very lucky to have soo many angels to protect him. I'm grateful for his courage to bear the truth, and grateful even more for his survival to tell his story. My best wishes to you Kien!!

• Book Jacket: New People