Reader reviews and comments on The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Water

by James McBride

The Color of Water by James McBride X
The Color of Water by James McBride

Feb 1996, 228 pages
    Feb 1997, 228 pages

There are currently 98 reader reviews for The Color of Water

High School senior

Class mates find the book "racist"
Hello, I am a 17 years old high school senior who was assigned this book as my summer reading. Now, I read the book from cover to cover and and i thought it was a well written and detailed Memoir about a man (The author) who was on a journey to find himself. I also feel that there were many topics touch upon but not explained. Everything in the book was personal history and not written off of others/general public. Now this is where my classmates come in. One of them made a comment saying the book was "depressing and racist" (they also were only half way through the book) I know that opinions are never true or false but i actually disagreed and i thought that by giving some insight on what this man's intent was it may help them understand the book more. Unfortunately it turned into a heated debate about what the book was about. I gave them detail and back up why the book is not racist. I told them it was a topic used to perpetuate the continuation of the story.
Now am I wrong for giving my honest opinion about the book (seeing that we will be tested on it and asked questions anyway) and do you think that it is a "racist" book or are they not reading enough into the actual story?
Tina

Profound
This was one of the most memorable books I've ever read. It's been many years since I read it and was so impressed with it that I passed it on. The title says it all.
C.Perkins

In my Opinion
In my opinion this is a good story because people were all brought up in a different way & this story may help you change your perspective on some things in your life or others.
martha malagon

black and white
I like this story because it reminder me from the past and the present and future with my families. And this story based on the real life of histories with family.
Anne Jones

The Color of Water
This is a highly recommended read. It's 2011 and I am a coloured lady married into a family of Jews - I am being ostracized at every turn - and holding my head up high is at times extremely difficult. All I try and remember daily is what my father taught - LET NO ONE DESTROY YOUR DIGNITY. It's the word's that keep me going on a daily basis. Ruth had dignity beyond compare. I wish I had met her. James you are a wonderful son to have honored your mother in this way. She stood by you children though the heavens fell.
katherine cisotto

The color of water
This is my favorite book because I admire how Ruth dealt with all the racism which is something I deal with yet today. To me racism should be against the law. There is nothing good with being racist.
Cynthia Slaughter

The Power of Faith and Education
This book epitomizes the power of faith and education. Ruth McBride demonstrates this as she struggled against race, religion, and poverty. Her determination to help her children overcome these obstacles during a time of discrimination is amazing. Knowledge is power and Ruth definitely demonstrates this in this book. I would recommended this book to anyone struggling through life obstacles; in search of accomplishing their dreams.
janicemerry

best book I have ever read
I am a avid reader and the Color of Water is the best book I have ever read. What a woman! Her spiritual values passed on to all her children. I wish one of the reviews hadn't given away the reason for the title as when I read it the hair on my arms stood up because we are all, no matter what color, are made in His likeness. I wrote to him and he sent me an autographed copy back. How many writers do that. His last work, Song Yet Sung is excellent, part true and part fiction, yet I learned so much. I can't wait until he writes another book. His words flow so beautifully. In our area , it is now required reading in high schools as it should be Sincerely , Janice Merry

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House is my introduction to Ann Patchett, which, after reading it, surprises me. I had ...

• Book Jacket: Nights When Nothing Happened
    Nights When Nothing Happened
    by Simon Han
    A quiet atmosphere of dread permeates Simon Han's subdued debut novel Nights When Nothing Happened. ...
  • Book Jacket: Take It Back
    Take It Back
    by Kia Abdullah
    In Kia Abdullah's novel Take It Back, sexual violence advisor Zara Kaleel becomes involved in a case...

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict

The real-life disappearance of Agatha Christie is perhaps her greatest mystery of all.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

Waiting for the Night Song
by Julie Carrick Dalton
A startling and timely debut about friendships forged in childhood and ruptured by the high price of secrets.
Win This Book!
Win The House on Vesper Sands

The House on Vesper Sands by Paraic O'Donnell

Introducing a detective duo for the ages who unlock the secrets of a startling Victorian mystery.

T T T Light F