What readers think of The Color of Water, plus links to write your own review.

The Color of Water

by James McBride

The Color of Water by James McBride X
The Color of Water by James McBride

Feb 1996, 228 pages

Feb 1997, 228 pages

There are currently 99 reader reviews for The Color of Water

High School senior

Class mates find the book "racist"
Hello, I am a 17 years old high school senior who was assigned this book as my summer reading. Now, I read the book from cover to cover and and i thought it was a well written and detailed Memoir about a man (The author) who was on a journey to find himself. I also feel that there were many topics touch upon but not explained. Everything in the book was personal history and not written off of others/general public. Now this is where my classmates come in. One of them made a comment saying the book was "depressing and racist" (they also were only half way through the book) I know that opinions are never true or false but i actually disagreed and i thought that by giving some insight on what this man's intent was it may help them understand the book more. Unfortunately it turned into a heated debate about what the book was about. I gave them detail and back up why the book is not racist. I told them it was a topic used to perpetuate the continuation of the story.
Now am I wrong for giving my honest opinion about the book (seeing that we will be tested on it and asked questions anyway) and do you think that it is a "racist" book or are they not reading enough into the actual story?
Tina

Profound
This was one of the most memorable books I've ever read. It's been many years since I read it and was so impressed with it that I passed it on. The title says it all.
C.Perkins

In my Opinion
In my opinion this is a good story because people were all brought up in a different way & this story may help you change your perspective on some things in your life or others.
martha malagon

black and white
I like this story because it reminder me from the past and the present and future with my families. And this story based on the real life of histories with family.
Anne Jones

The Color of Water
This is a highly recommended read. It's 2011 and I am a coloured lady married into a family of Jews - I am being ostracized at every turn - and holding my head up high is at times extremely difficult. All I try and remember daily is what my father taught - LET NO ONE DESTROY YOUR DIGNITY. It's the word's that keep me going on a daily basis. Ruth had dignity beyond compare. I wish I had met her. James you are a wonderful son to have honored your mother in this way. She stood by you children though the heavens fell.
katherine cisotto

The color of water
This is my favorite book because I admire how Ruth dealt with all the racism which is something I deal with yet today. To me racism should be against the law. There is nothing good with being racist.
Cynthia Slaughter

The Power of Faith and Education
This book epitomizes the power of faith and education. Ruth McBride demonstrates this as she struggled against race, religion, and poverty. Her determination to help her children overcome these obstacles during a time of discrimination is amazing. Knowledge is power and Ruth definitely demonstrates this in this book. I would recommended this book to anyone struggling through life obstacles; in search of accomplishing their dreams.
janicemerry

best book I have ever read
I am a avid reader and the Color of Water is the best book I have ever read. What a woman! Her spiritual values passed on to all her children. I wish one of the reviews hadn't given away the reason for the title as when I read it the hair on my arms stood up because we are all, no matter what color, are made in His likeness. I wrote to him and he sent me an autographed copy back. How many writers do that. His last work, Song Yet Sung is excellent, part true and part fiction, yet I learned so much. I can't wait until he writes another book. His words flow so beautifully. In our area , it is now required reading in high schools as it should be Sincerely , Janice Merry

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Last Bloodcarver
    The Last Bloodcarver
    by Vanessa Le
    The city-state of Theumas is a gleaming metropolis of advanced technology and innovation where the ...
  • Book Jacket: Say Hello to My Little Friend
    Say Hello to My Little Friend
    by Jennine CapĂł Crucet
    Twenty-year-old Ismael Reyes is making a living in Miami as an impersonator of the rapper/singer ...
  • Book Jacket: The Painter's Daughters
    The Painter's Daughters
    by Emily Howes
    Peggy and Molly Gainsborough are sisters and best friends, living an idyllic life in 18th-century ...
  • Book Jacket: Beverly Hills Spy
    Beverly Hills Spy
    by Ronald Drabkin
    When it comes to espionage, not only is truth stranger than fiction, sometimes it can be downright ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Half a Cup of Sand and Sky
by Nadine Bjursten
A poignant portrayal of a woman's quest for love and belonging amid political turmoil.

Members Recommend

The House on Biscayne Bay
    by Chanel Cleeton

As death stalks a gothic mansion in Miami, the lives of two women intertwine as the past and present collide.

The Stone Home
    by Crystal Hana Kim

A moving family drama and coming-of-age story revealing a dark corner of South Korean history.

You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think.

S B the B