We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Oct 1995, 184 pages

There are currently 270 reader reviews for A Child Called It

Dani

The Child Called IT
This book is a must read! It's so addictive. With Covid-19 I read this book in 3 hours, It's so fascinating and heart breaking that at such a young age he had to go through all of that! My mother was used to be a alcoholic, and I still get mentally and physically abused but I am so much older than what he was in the book. I am fascinated why just because of a silly vacation she became abusive. I am so happy he doesn't live with that monster anymore. It is so sentimental in the beginning like the first 20 pages I was in tears. It's sad that his brothers turned on him, and his father is a jerk. He could've taken his son with him. I've personally read all the books but currently I am looking for his book "story of my life" Anyways I really recommend this book (and all of them) Dave Pelzer is such a amazing author.
LeiAnn Richmond

Awesome and heat touching
This book had me in tears when I read the first page!!! It was so true and heart breaking!! This story made me feel like I was in the David Plezer's life and feeling the pain that he was feeling. It was probably hard to open up about but I would convince you to read this book.
Sosefina Lealai

Inspirational and
This Book Is Just Unbelievable. This Book Is So Touching And I Admire It. In Somewhat Way, I Can Actually Relate To Dave Pelzer's Story. My Parents Weren't So Much Like That. Instead, It Was My Parents Family Who Treated Me As If I Wasn't A Human Being, As If I Was An "It". But Even With That Happening In My Past, This Book, Dave Pelzer, Has Showed Me How To Appreciate Things In Life And How To Take Every Little Single Thing For Granted. I Use To Be The Type Of Girl Who Would Blame Myself For My Past, Who Would Be Picky On The Food I Eat, Who Would Argue With My Siblings. But After Encountering This Book, All Of That, Has Changed. I'm More Loving And Appreciative And I Thank This Book And Dave Pelzer For That. I Hope In The Future, There Can Be More Inspiring Books/Stories Like " The Boy Called It ". Thank You For A Phenomenal And Overwhelming Book.
Selene

The child called it
Love it
kathy walsh

Sad
This book was very good unfortunately was very upsetting. How anyone could do what this child went through?
Stephanie

my review
This book is really sad. I can imagine going through some things the little kid when through but not all. I don't get how he could even survive. I would of just left the mom and ran away to find the dad. Or just go with aunts and uncles cuz the dad didn't even try and help he just left.. just like everyone else..??
Jennifer K

A Child Called It
I read this book and the other two in the trilogy. This first of the three is an amazing first-hand account of the survival of a little boy trying to grow up with a sick and twisted mother, with no relief in sight. I cried through much of it, while seeing it through his eyes. Amazing that he grew up at all, let alone the good man he became. Love this book!
Bannessa

The child call it
It's a good book

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Neighbors and Other Stories
    Neighbors and Other Stories
    by Diane Oliver
    The history of American segregation, along with changes to it in the 1960s, is sometimes taught and ...
  • Book Jacket: Wild and Distant Seas
    Wild and Distant Seas
    by Tara Karr Roberts
    Tara Karr Roberts is a newspaper columnist who also teaches English and journalism. Wild and Distant...
  • Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)