Reader reviews and comments on The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

by Elizabeth Kostova

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova X
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Jun 2005, 656 pages
    Oct 2006, 688 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Historian

JG Ulmer

The Historian - Excellent reading
Of the countless books and novels I have read, both fiction and non-fiction, I felt this was exceptionally well written. It was both an adventure in history and well told tale. For someone who loves history, geography, fiction and non-fiction - it is a worthy read.
Yogamom

The Historian
Loved it, loved it so much I read it every summer over a few days. Only other books I do that with are "Rebecca" and " Pride and Predjudice" good company. Loved the time period changes, voice changes and lovely description of a little known, to me, part of the world. Awesome first novel for the author.
Michelle

The Historian
The book was recommended to me by a friend and I absolutely loved it, I thought the length and detail were fantastic. Ms. Kostova really made the story believable and well written. There was fantasy within the story line that touched so closely to fact that you found yourself falling into the trap of forgetting this was a fictional novel! Fabulous!
Gillian

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
This excellent book has been spoiled for me by too many errors. For example, page 189 Dr. Turgut is described as having a silver mustache & a mane of silver hair yet on page 209 when the couple meet him the next morning he now has 'curly dark hair slicked back'. The other errors I had perceived previously I did not make a note of. Will keep reading anyway. But come on people this spoils a good read...
MM

The Historian
I savored this book, it intrigued me so. I completed it in two days, though I didn't want it to end.
Judy R

THE HISTORIAN
This was a book club pick. Dracula! Creepy!! But.... when I got into it I found it hypnotic and finished it in 2 days. The historical aspect of Dracula was fascinating. It was hard to believe it came from actual letters/events but in reading the acknowledgments some of the people were given credit. This would be a great movie.
Apollo

An awesome book
I came across this book unexpectently and finished it in two days tops - the book's really great
Megan M.

Almost Done But Love It
I actually have not finished this book. It sounds bad since I have already given this book a 5 out of 5 but it seems great. I only have 200 pages left but the 700 I have read have been FANTASMICAL! I came across this book unexpectedly. I was just browsing through the base ,crappy, library and I saw something that said "The Historian". I love history and the cover was mystifying so I looked at it. I actually had no idea it had anything to do with vampires, although I do love a good vampire book. ----blah blah blah. Enough of that said. But this book is really good. I can't believe people have rated this book under a 3! The only reason you want to put this book down is to get a grip of yourself. You are like, "o.m.g. this book is opening up my eyes in a whole new way, and it's kind of scaring me too." I almost actually put the book in the freezer once I looked online at what Vlad looked like.. brr....still getting goosebumps. But yeah! Read it!
But you don't have to take it from me...I'm "just a 13 year old who doesn't understand literature"
well, PEACE

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House is my introduction to Ann Patchett, which, after reading it, surprises me. I had ...

• Book Jacket: Nights When Nothing Happened
    Nights When Nothing Happened
    by Simon Han
    A quiet atmosphere of dread permeates Simon Han's subdued debut novel Nights When Nothing Happened. ...
  • Book Jacket: Take It Back
    Take It Back
    by Kia Abdullah
    In Kia Abdullah's novel Take It Back, sexual violence advisor Zara Kaleel becomes involved in a case...

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict

The real-life disappearance of Agatha Christie is perhaps her greatest mystery of all.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

Waiting for the Night Song
by Julie Carrick Dalton
A startling and timely debut about friendships forged in childhood and ruptured by the high price of secrets.
Win This Book!
Win The House on Vesper Sands

The House on Vesper Sands by Paraic O'Donnell

Introducing a detective duo for the ages who unlock the secrets of a startling Victorian mystery.

T T T Light F