What readers think of The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

by Elizabeth Kostova

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova X
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Jun 2005, 656 pages

Oct 2006, 688 pages

There are currently 71 reader reviews for The Historian

JG Ulmer

The Historian - Excellent reading
Of the countless books and novels I have read, both fiction and non-fiction, I felt this was exceptionally well written. It was both an adventure in history and well told tale. For someone who loves history, geography, fiction and non-fiction - it is a worthy read.
Yogamom

The Historian
Loved it, loved it so much I read it every summer over a few days. Only other books I do that with are "Rebecca" and " Pride and Predjudice" good company. Loved the time period changes, voice changes and lovely description of a little known, to me, part of the world. Awesome first novel for the author.
Michelle

The Historian
The book was recommended to me by a friend and I absolutely loved it, I thought the length and detail were fantastic. Ms. Kostova really made the story believable and well written. There was fantasy within the story line that touched so closely to fact that you found yourself falling into the trap of forgetting this was a fictional novel! Fabulous!
Gillian

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
This excellent book has been spoiled for me by too many errors. For example, page 189 Dr. Turgut is described as having a silver mustache & a mane of silver hair yet on page 209 when the couple meet him the next morning he now has 'curly dark hair slicked back'. The other errors I had perceived previously I did not make a note of. Will keep reading anyway. But come on people this spoils a good read...
MM

The Historian
I savored this book, it intrigued me so. I completed it in two days, though I didn't want it to end.
Judy R

THE HISTORIAN
This was a book club pick. Dracula! Creepy!! But.... when I got into it I found it hypnotic and finished it in 2 days. The historical aspect of Dracula was fascinating. It was hard to believe it came from actual letters/events but in reading the acknowledgments some of the people were given credit. This would be a great movie.
Apollo

An awesome book
I came across this book unexpectently and finished it in two days tops - the book's really great
Megan M.

Almost Done But Love It
I actually have not finished this book. It sounds bad since I have already given this book a 5 out of 5 but it seems great. I only have 200 pages left but the 700 I have read have been FANTASMICAL! I came across this book unexpectedly. I was just browsing through the base ,crappy, library and I saw something that said "The Historian". I love history and the cover was mystifying so I looked at it. I actually had no idea it had anything to do with vampires, although I do love a good vampire book. ----blah blah blah. Enough of that said. But this book is really good. I can't believe people have rated this book under a 3! The only reason you want to put this book down is to get a grip of yourself. You are like, "o.m.g. this book is opening up my eyes in a whole new way, and it's kind of scaring me too." I almost actually put the book in the freezer once I looked online at what Vlad looked like.. brr....still getting goosebumps. But yeah! Read it!
But you don't have to take it from me...I'm "just a 13 year old who doesn't understand literature"
well, PEACE

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Last Murder at the End of the World
    The Last Murder at the End of the World
    by Stuart Turton
    The island is the only safe place left on Earth. Since a deadly fog overtook the planet, the ...
    A Kind of Madness
    by Uche Okonkwo
    The word "madness," like many others that can be used to stigmatize mental illness — e.g., "...
  • Book Jacket: Long After We Are Gone
    Long After We Are Gone
    by Terah Shelton Harris
    Terah Shelton Harris's marvelous family drama Long After We Are Gone begins with the death of the ...
  • Book Jacket: Exhibit
    Exhibit
    by R O. Kwon
    Exhibit, R.O. Kwon's sophomore novel (after The Incendiaries, 2018), introduces readers to Jin Han, ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Look on the Bright Side
by Kristan Higgins
From the author of Pack Up the Moon comes a funny, romantic, and moving novel about life's unexpected rewards.
The Pecan Children
by Quinn Connor
Win This Book
Win Bright and Tender Dark

Bright and Tender Dark by Joanna Pearson

A beautifully written, wire-taut debut novel about a murder on a college campus and its aftermath twenty years later.

A W in S C