Reader reviews and comments on The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

by Elizabeth Kostova

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova X
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Jun 2005, 656 pages
    Oct 2006, 688 pages

There are currently 70 reader reviews for The Historian

JG Ulmer

The Historian - Excellent reading
Of the countless books and novels I have read, both fiction and non-fiction, I felt this was exceptionally well written. It was both an adventure in history and well told tale. For someone who loves history, geography, fiction and non-fiction - it is a worthy read.
Yogamom

The Historian
Loved it, loved it so much I read it every summer over a few days. Only other books I do that with are "Rebecca" and " Pride and Predjudice" good company. Loved the time period changes, voice changes and lovely description of a little known, to me, part of the world. Awesome first novel for the author.
Michelle

The Historian
The book was recommended to me by a friend and I absolutely loved it, I thought the length and detail were fantastic. Ms. Kostova really made the story believable and well written. There was fantasy within the story line that touched so closely to fact that you found yourself falling into the trap of forgetting this was a fictional novel! Fabulous!
Gillian

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
This excellent book has been spoiled for me by too many errors. For example, page 189 Dr. Turgut is described as having a silver mustache & a mane of silver hair yet on page 209 when the couple meet him the next morning he now has 'curly dark hair slicked back'. The other errors I had perceived previously I did not make a note of. Will keep reading anyway. But come on people this spoils a good read...
MM

The Historian
I savored this book, it intrigued me so. I completed it in two days, though I didn't want it to end.
Judy R

THE HISTORIAN
This was a book club pick. Dracula! Creepy!! But.... when I got into it I found it hypnotic and finished it in 2 days. The historical aspect of Dracula was fascinating. It was hard to believe it came from actual letters/events but in reading the acknowledgments some of the people were given credit. This would be a great movie.
Apollo

An awesome book
I came across this book unexpectently and finished it in two days tops - the book's really great
Megan M.

Almost Done But Love It
I actually have not finished this book. It sounds bad since I have already given this book a 5 out of 5 but it seems great. I only have 200 pages left but the 700 I have read have been FANTASMICAL! I came across this book unexpectedly. I was just browsing through the base ,crappy, library and I saw something that said "The Historian". I love history and the cover was mystifying so I looked at it. I actually had no idea it had anything to do with vampires, although I do love a good vampire book. ----blah blah blah. Enough of that said. But this book is really good. I can't believe people have rated this book under a 3! The only reason you want to put this book down is to get a grip of yourself. You are like, "o.m.g. this book is opening up my eyes in a whole new way, and it's kind of scaring me too." I almost actually put the book in the freezer once I looked online at what Vlad looked like.. brr....still getting goosebumps. But yeah! Read it!
But you don't have to take it from me...I'm "just a 13 year old who doesn't understand literature"
well, PEACE

• Book Jacket: Fake Like Me
    Fake Like Me
    by Barbara Bourland
    After years of trying to make it as a painter in New York City, the unnamed narrator of Fake Like Me...
  • Book Jacket: Hungry
    Hungry
    by Jeff Gordinier
    Noma, René Redzepi's restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark, has widely been considered among the ...
  • Book Jacket: With the Fire on High
    With the Fire on High
    by Elizabeth Acevedo
    From Like Water for Chocolate to Ratatouille, writers have recognized the power ...
  • Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly