What readers think of The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The Historian

Oct 2006, 688 pages

There are currently 71 reader reviews for The Historian

Cynthia

A must Read
I found this book in a second hand store in 2008. I finally got around to reading it and it is such a good book. I could not put it down. I was so drawn in by this book.
ora pihema

the historian
A gripping and fascinating adventure of one young girl's obsession with knowing who her parents really were/are. The delving into the idea of Dracula as a modern day belief so early on in the book, initially can make the reader skeptical; however, I felt the execution (excuse the pun) of it was indeed intoxicating. I especially loved the lesser character of the mother`s mother, the reader gets a sense of organic narrative as though we are sitting down at her humble kitchen table, and being told a story, that although is as old as humanity, we can't help listening to again. A love story.
The seductiveness as we meander our way across Eastern Europe, untainted and untouched by lack of language and passports, the characters obviously possessing a magic about them that amplifies as they near their crescendo into Dracula`s lair.
But also the labyrinth from which the story unfolds, the present with the past, truth from fiction and fantasy with narrative, entwines itself by leaving the reader asking: Could it be true? and if not, why not?
Steven MacComas

Very engaging read
Excellent story line. I would compare this work to the writing of Anne Rice without all the gay stuff. Excellent blend of history and fiction. A must read for the legion of vampire lovers out there.
Carol Kirk

Excellent
I've read a couple of the negative reviews and have wondered if they and I have read the same book! Yes, nothing too dastardly BUT what a read, I couldn't put it down. it was interesting and gripping, the historical references good and the story that only the imagination could only put in between the lines. I love a read that sets the imagination going, to me its the sign of a truly good story teller. An excellent read, I thoroughly recommend it!
Dani California

Amazing!!!
I loved this book! I was extremely interested from the beginning and I enjoyed every minute of reading it!
Kim

The Best!
I read this book several years ago and still wish I was in the process of reading it. I miss it. This book was hands down the best book I've ever read. I can't believe the negative reviews! Thoroughly enjoyed it and I have recommended it to a handful of my friends. Can't wait for the movie and can't wait for her next book.
Bruce Sykes

The Historian, sorry to see it end
Although a little slow at times, this is written with detail that any scholar will love. I was so sorry to reach the end. It was fun to read and hard to put down. More lore like this needs to be written..
Anthony William Richardson

THE BEST NOVEL I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!!
The Historian is in all regards the BEST NOVEL I HAVE EVER READ! I have recommended it to all of my friends who have all loved it!!!!!! WE WANT MORE NOVELS FROM Elizabeth Kostova!

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Henry Henry
    Henry Henry
    by Allen Bratton
    Allen Bratton's Henry Henry chronicles a year in the life of Hal Lancaster. Readers already ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Murder at the End of the World
    The Last Murder at the End of the World
    by Stuart Turton
    The island is the only safe place left on Earth. Since a deadly fog overtook the planet, the ...
    A Kind of Madness
    by Uche Okonkwo
    The word "madness," like many others that can be used to stigmatize mental illness — e.g., "...
  • Book Jacket: Long After We Are Gone
    Long After We Are Gone
    by Terah Shelton Harris
    Terah Shelton Harris's marvelous family drama Long After We Are Gone begins with the death of the ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The Pecan Children
by Quinn Connor
Look on the Bright Side
by Kristan Higgins
From the author of Pack Up the Moon comes a funny, romantic, and moving novel about life's unexpected rewards.
Win This Book
Win Bright and Tender Dark

Bright and Tender Dark by Joanna Pearson

A beautifully written, wire-taut debut novel about a murder on a college campus and its aftermath twenty years later.

A W in S C