Summer Sale! Save 20% today and get access to all our member benefits.

What readers think of The Historian, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The Historian

Oct 2006, 688 pages

There are currently 71 reader reviews for The Historian

Sprite

Fabulous
I am smitten by this book, having finished it a few days ago I can not get it out of my head and feel lost at not having it to open every day to keep reading. I thought Elizabeth Kostova's writing style was beautiful and poignant and at times perfectly poetic, without ever being too flowery or cliched. Her descriptions of European locations visited throughout the story were so vivid I felt as though I was transported there, and now would very much like to visit places I had no particular interest in before reading this book.

I found the characters themselves to be intriguing, addictive and likeable, propelling a plot steeped in history that needed a humanity lent to it by personable characters, bringing a long forgotten past alive to the reader.

A brilliant, brilliant book, one of my all time favourites and one I will without question read and recommend to anyone who will listen!
Rachel

Best Dracula Storys
I really enjoyed this book. Kostova gets you interested just by you reading the first sentence. This just became my favorite vampire story since Dracula... wait... it's better than Dracula!!!
A reader

WOW!
Well written and intense, this book is one of the best that i have ever read. Kostova shows all sides of human nature; evil, good, nice, sexy, mean, etc. although dark at times, this read is a MUST!!
auburnpeach

was pulled into the story
Being thrown into a difficult period of my life; this book was just what the doctor ordered. I was able to lose myself in the story line; enjoyed the history and could envision clearly the scenery and characters. Kudos to the writer...look forward to reading more from her.
Sue

The Historian by Elizabeth Kosova
This was an excellent read. You would have thought a 'revamp' on the Dracula theme would have been boring and I must admit I picked up this book half-heartedly but am I glad I did - the best written, the best story - inspiring and gripping come to mind. Gripping, the way it draws the reader in with a vivid style and a structure is fast paced and exciting. Inspiring - I intend to visit Romania and Istanbul - better than the Da Vinci Code - wonderful seductive descriptions. Please write more Elizabeth Kosova.
Alyvia

Brilliant book
This book is one of the most entertaining I have read in quite a long time. Kostova's descriptions are fantastic, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Very well researched, entertaining, and, hey, who doesn't love a good Dracula book?
Sidney

This Book Totally Rocked
This book was so awesome! It keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Fred

A Book That's Meant To Be Read
Brilliant work! This is as good a modern work of fiction as I have read in the last 50 years. If you prefer books tuned to the 21st century's attention span of 10 minutes that you can read while watching TV, commuting or while sunning on the beach - stay away from this book. If, on the other hand, you read to become engrossed in a well told story and matvel at the craftsmanship of a fine writer, buy it now!! This book is a joy to be savored.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Coin
    The Coin
    by Yasmin Zaher
    A popular choice for book jackets in recent years, perhaps especially in the historical fiction ...
  • Book Jacket: The Night of Baba Yaga
    The Night of Baba Yaga
    by Akira Otani, Sam Bett
    When Yoriko Shindo gets into a brawl on a busy street in 1970s Tokyo, she has no idea what the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Anthropologists
    The Anthropologists
    by Aysegül Savas
    A documentary filmmaker, Asya is interested in the "unremarkable grace" of daily life, "the slow and...
  • Book Jacket: Mood Swings
    Mood Swings
    by Frankie Barnet
    This book begins with a bombastic premise. Seemingly fed up with the heating planet, the world's ...

BookBrowse Book Club

The 1619 Project
by Nikole Hannah-Jones
An impactful expansion of groundbreaking journalism, The 1619 Project offers a revealing vision of America's past and present.

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it

L T C O of the B