We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The Glass Castle

the glass castle
A good book.
Ruby Mccormick

Favorite book
This book actually makes me feel things.
Alyssa

Glass Castle
I like the Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Jeannette Walls had a strange childhood. Jeannette and her siblings have suffered so much because of their parents' neglect. Jeannette had gone through so much pain that led her to leave her house at the age of 17. Jeannette learned how to solve her problems through perseverance. Jeannette learned how to take care of herself at a very young age. Even though her parents have made her suffer, Jeannette would try to find a way of turning her parents' actions into acts of love. I liked how Jeannette was always determined and brave through good and bad times. It doesn't matter how many times her parents betrayed, frustrated, underestimated, or frightened her, Jeannette never held any harsh feelings towards her parents. She always forgave them. Jeannette was still willing to help her parents. I think Jeannette's challenges made her stronger and gave her a feeling that she could handle any problems. The family had gone through many hardships. I love that their love was unbreakable even through bad times. After reading this fantastic novel, I learned that I should be thankful for what I have and showed me that you can achieve your goals through hard work and perseverance.
jaykobb

the best Memoir i have ever read
This book is filled with adventure and the hardship of having a drunk parent and the strength that it takes to defy that drunk parent and the hardships of having both of your parents on the street while you prosper.
Nancy

An excellent book about an unusual childhood
Walls writes about a childhood that was affected by her father's drinking and her mother's odd behavior. She missed more than a few meals, did not always have a place to lay her head, and felt like she was the most responsible adult in the family. Still, her love for her parents is obvious. Even though they had many faults, they also showed her the beauty of a starry sky and an appreciation for art and the artistic soul.
Tessa A

My thoughts
I recently just finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls for my outside reading book in my English class. Getting straight to the point, this has for sure been one of my most favorite books I have ever read. I could not only relate to many of the events and feelings that take place but also I love the way Walls expresses each character. Each individual has their own unique personality. Walls does a great job on making all the characters have different views and beliefs as well and making them all clear to see and understand. Just in this one family, there was such a wide variety of different types of people. At first I didn’t know what a memoir was, and I didn’t really bother to look it up until after I finished the book and relooked at the author’s name. I noticed that it was the same from the girls in the story. After this, I looked up the definition and I was in awe at all the extreme hardships that she had to go through. In the future, I am going to look more into this genre that I didn’t even know existed. I definitely think it is very interesting. I first picked up this book because I was at a loss of time and it was the 1st thing I saw. I didn’t think I would like it. It’s really not the type of book I would usually pick to read in my spare time but because I didn’t have many options, I stuck with it. Fortunately for me, the book turned out to be 100 better than I thought. When I read the back, I thought it was going to be a long boring and depressing story. Though at parts it got sad and or depressing, it never managed to get boring to me. Even in the sad parts, there was always some sort of strong emotion that would make me think why? I tend to think about everything. It’s a blessing and a curse. I loved that in this book because every thing each person did made me question who they were growing into and becoming throughout the story. In my English class, we are working on building a reading habit. I’m not going to lie, I really don’t enjoy reading that much anymore. In the past, it was one of my favorite things to do but as I have gotten older I find that a lot more distracts me when trying to read and I can never seem to find a book that I really like. This book was a real breakthrough to me. It actually helped me to make a reading habit for myself and slowly but surely I am enjoying reading more and more. I know that it probably seems like I am exaggerating quite a bit but I just want to make it clear to everyone how much I really did enjoy this book. Take it from someone who doesn’t even enjoy reading, yet couldn’t put it down. That must mean it’s good. I suggest you give it a go and see for yourself.
Janet Rendall

The Glass Castle
I selected this book of my book group because we can all relate at some level with a dysfunctional family. This family coped against incredible odds with humor, love and fortitude. If only all families had that level of intellect and emotional strength.
Sally

The Glass Castle Book Review
In this most touching and compelling novel of all times, author Jeanette Walls who is the main character of the story unveils her root growing up in an extremely dysfunctional family of 4 children headed by a drunk and irresponsible father and married to a lazy and neglectful mother. The Walls family, not having a permanent place to stay all their life and has to dig food from trash to survive has made it through day by day with little or no resources at all. While the delinquent parents, who have no guilt conscience, constantly make selfish and unreasonable decision for the family, the children suffer from extreme humiliation in school and in the community.

Amazingly, in spite of all these, their love and loyalty to each other in the midst of the hardship kept them close and instead, developed their characters filled with hope and determination to make it better on their own. Jeanette, with her brother and 2 sisters successfully made it in New York and was able to enjoy the life that they deserve while their parents followed but continued to choose to be homeless.

This book is very inspiring and highly recommendable for all people in all ages. After reading this book, I don’t feel like complaining for every little thing I don’t have and I can’t do. I feel so blessed and grateful for everything I have and my ability to do things. I learned that nothing is impossible with God by my side. I can be the person I want to be, and with full determination, I can do anything & everything I want to achieve my goals in life.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...
  • Book Jacket: The Frozen River
    The Frozen River
    by Ariel Lawhon
    "I cannot say why it is so important that I make this daily record. Perhaps because I have been ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)