We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The Glass Castle

Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 179 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Julie Sausville

Wonderful first time author
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish and many of my friends also loved it we have shared and discussed and laughed and couldn't wait to read her second novel Half Broke Horses, about her grandmother's life also a wonderful read I give Wall 2 thumbs up and cant wait for her to write a third :)
Judy

Jeannette Walls: The Glass Castle
I haven't picked up a book to read for years. I started reading the Glass Castle and I couldn't put it down. I stayed up until wee hours of the night just to see what their next adventure would be. I can't believe some of the things that Jeannette's parents allowed them to do but on the other hand she grew up to be a very strong independent woman.

I loved this book and look forward to reading more of Jeannette Walls books.
Emma

The Glass Castle Review
I started reading the book " The Glass Castle " yesterday it is amazing(even though I am only on page 36) .My favorite part( so far ) is Jeannette's first memory when she is making her self so hat dogs ( i cant believe her mother let her boil hotdogs on her own) I think everyone should read it - it's that good.
Dorothy

Love it ;)
This book is worth reading. Now my daughter is reading and she can't put it away :)
Lisa B

Unbelievably familiar
As I was reading this book I could not help but think how very similar her childhood feelings were to mine...I could have written this book about my childhood...well written
lexi high

bret harte high school student reader
This book is a very touching story of a true life of a young girl and I am sorry that she had to live this life but at the same time its good that she did because it made her the very special and intellectual person she is today and also the very hurt person who wrote this sad touching story.... this author deserves a standing ovation from a group of 1,000,000,00
Haley

The Glass Castle By: Jeannette Walls
Jeannette Walls book The Glass Castle was for me the hardest book to get through because I feel for her. It is hard to get control my emotions as she talks about some of her horrible experiences, but it is the easiest memoir to get through because also so well written. There is enough context, background information, to really understand the events of the story. I can truly envision the story

There is not any unnecessary information throughout the book; Jeannette only talks about either life-threatening situations, life changing situations, or important information that effects her in the future. But you can not truly understand how all of these events are important to her and why she writes about specific moments until you reach the end and put the puzzle pieces together.

In the memoir I am currently writing about myself Jeannette Walls had truly inspired me to write in a way that grabs the readers attention as well as she did in hers. So I thank Jeannette Walls and her effective writing style which has inspired me to create my own so effectively, therefore I highly recommend this book to all.
[Editor's note: abbreviated]
Shawty

The Glass Castle
When I finally finished reading this book, I noticed how much it touched me. It was an amazing story !! :)

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Atlas of Us
    The Atlas of Us
    by Kristin Dwyer
    Despite her name, Atlas James feels like she lacks a road map for her future. In the months since ...
  • Book Jacket: One Hour of Fervor
    One Hour of Fervor
    by Muriel Barbery
    Set during multiple decades across the turn of the 21st century, One Hour of Fervor follows Haru, a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Ascent
    The Ascent
    by Adam Plantinga
    Adam Plantinga's brilliant debut novel, The Ascent, introduces readers to former Detroit police ...
  • Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Clytemnestra
by Costanza Casati
A feminist Greek retelling about the most notorious heroine of the ancient world and the events that forged her into a legendary queen.

Members Recommend

Help Wanted
    by Adelle Waldman

From the best-selling author of The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. comes a funny, eye-opening tale of work in contemporary America.

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)