We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reading Guide |  Reviews |  Beyond the book |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

The Glass Castle

Jan 2006, 304 pages

There are currently 179 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

Monica Kuolt

Experiences
In this touching book, Glass Castle, written by Jeannette Walls, exposes her true life by the lessons, adventures, and experiences that has brought on her and her family emotionally but also rewarding. The book starts out with mid 30’s Jeannette Walls in New York City sitting in a taxi through traffic. As she waits to go to one of her expensive, nice party, she looks at a homeless woman. She notices that it is her mother and can’t believe it is her. Her reaction was to hide herself so no one could know that they could actually be related. Her battles with accepting her mother being homeless is because her whole life was just moving around, no money, no structure in the family and struggles that came between them. While growing up in her uncontrolled environment, constant hardships and realities made her want more meaning in her life. From all of this, she has become a successful, stable, hardworking and intelligent writer.
Courtney Craig

Undescribable
Some stir hearts with pictures.
Some with dance.
Some with song.
And some can move your entire being,
creep into the very crevices of your soul,
with words.

Jeannette Walls did just that. The Glass Castle will be a work of art, a bold statement of raw life, that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

In other words, I bawled like a baby.
bobbie d

It's Real
Our book club really liked this book. Couldn't believe that it is a true story! But I guess no one could make this up. This is one of the craziest disfunctional families ever. The father had dreams that would never happen, hence, The Glass Castle. When money became available, they found ways to waste it! All through the book, I kept thinking that this was fiction! The author is the daughter! She survived!
Laurie

Wonderful
This is a wonderful story of triumph and trial. There are more than one occasions that could have changed any of these people in an extremely negative way, the author just pushes through in telling the story. She doesn't become bogged down in the process, AMAZING READ!
Charlotte Cunningham

A great memoir
While I was at work a few days ago, one of my co workers said Hey Charlotte after I read your memoir Why? it made me think of another memoir called The Glass Castle, I think you should read it. Wow, I just finished The Glass Castle. It is a great memoir and reminds me a lot of my life growing up. God bless you Jeannette...Love Charlotte Cunningham
Jennifer W

Clinching
The Glass Castle was more than a page tuner. It paralyzes you from putting the book down! It has you clinching onto the pages to relive every memory Jeannette has from her childhood and leaves your mind wondering the rights and wrongs of parenting. When do actions speak louder than words? Allow the cultivating words to transport you into a world of disbelief filled with the strength and determination of a child.
Jomary

A must read
One of the best non fiction books I have ever read. I couldn't put it down once I started it.
alyssa

book review.....amazing
aweooommmeeeetastic!!!!!!

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Atlas of Us
    The Atlas of Us
    by Kristin Dwyer
    Despite her name, Atlas James feels like she lacks a road map for her future. In the months since ...
  • Book Jacket: One Hour of Fervor
    One Hour of Fervor
    by Muriel Barbery
    Set during multiple decades across the turn of the 21st century, One Hour of Fervor follows Haru, a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Ascent
    The Ascent
    by Adam Plantinga
    Adam Plantinga's brilliant debut novel, The Ascent, introduces readers to former Detroit police ...
  • Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Clytemnestra
by Costanza Casati
A feminist Greek retelling about the most notorious heroine of the ancient world and the events that forged her into a legendary queen.

Members Recommend

Help Wanted
    by Adelle Waldman

From the best-selling author of The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. comes a funny, eye-opening tale of work in contemporary America.

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)