Reader reviews and comments on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, plus links to write your own review.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

by Mark Haddon

The Curious Incident  of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Jun 2003, 240 pages
    May 2004, 240 pages

There are currently 46 reader reviews for The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Maryam

Amazing
So far this is probably my fav book. I love the way it is realistic and at the same time attention grabbing. To sum up it is very informative. I felt like I couldn't stop reading it (wish there was a second one)
Nils Franco

Highly Recommended
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime teems with quirky detail and a style of writing so unique you’ll be left with an open mouth in awe of Mark Haddon’s innovative style. I encourage anyone looking for a good read to check out Haddon's mystery novel.
The novel’s writing style stretches limits through its attention to detail and by delving into the questions of life without the typical clouded nonsense, like when an author tries to sound more insightful than he actually is, making these questions impossible to answer. The book’s autistic protagonist, Christopher Boone, does too. It’s got the foundations of a typical coming-of-age story: drastic situation leads to drastic measures. The hero must dive into uncharted territory, forcing himself to overcome his irrational fears to resolve the conflict. The mystery begins when Christopher finds his neighbour’s dog slain in the neighbour’s front yard. Christopher exhibits an uncommon bond with animals; he explains that this is because animals have three straightforward feelings: happy, sad, and okay.
   In the novel, Haddon mulls over the meaning of truth, death, love, hatred, and fear. He poses the questions, “What is truth, and what crosses the line to become a lie?” or, “How does fear dictate our actions? How about love and hate?” The author truly allows us to be free to evaluate these questions that have remained disputed since sentient beings have walked the Earth.
   This work emphasizes the power emotions have in our life, from the small intuitive details to the life-changing decisions, by showing life through a monochromatic or B/W lens. In doing so, we see how effective colour is, and how boring films would be if they lacked this element. The book makes the reader question everything they hold dear to them.

On an unrelated note, this is the first book I have genuinely enjoyed since reading Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder in fourth grade. I found the amount of detail to be compelling and oddly captivating.
Ashley

Wonderful
This book has opened my eyes to an entirely different world. it makes you stop and think for a second, wow is that what really goes through the minds of people like this. Wonder, just wonderful. the book will make you smile, cry and it might even make you mad a little. The boy starts off as a sick boy trying to solve a crime in his neighborhood to a wonderful young man trying to put the pieces back together in his life. Christopher is smart, witty and brave.
CMH

CMH's Thoughts
The book was invigorating. Very fun to read. I recommend it to anyone.
Darcie K

Fascinating
This story is told from a fascinating perspective. It reflects on many adult situations in a wry sense of humor. Sometimes Christopher sees more clearly than those of us without "special needs". This is a sad and humorous story that I highly recommend.
jean

lovely book
I think is book is more than just a book. I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend to everyone. Once you read it you will never put it down, trust me.
Olivia

HELP PLEASE!!!
I was just wondering if anyone can help me. I have to to a book report and I choose this book. One of the questions is:

What is the theme of this story?
-Moral
-what the author wants to teach us
-What the author wants us to understand,appreciate,accept,feel,realize,experience.

Im having trouble putting it in exact words and i just wanted to get your opinions. If Anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated..

Email: lii_69@hotmail.com

p.s sorry for any spelling errors, my spelling isn't that great..

thanks
great book!!

read it.....
This book explains what is actually going on in a person with autisms' head! More people should read this book so they won't judge people like that. I know because my brother has some sydrome like Christopher and he ACTUALLY THINKS THE SAME AS HIM AND IS BOTHERED BY SIMILAR THINGS IN THIS BOOK. THAT IS WHY MORE PEOPLE SHOULD READ IT because most people don't understand autism and other disabilities. I don't even understand it perfectly and I live with it!!!

• Book Jacket: Golden Hill
    Golden Hill
    by Francis Spufford
  • Book Jacket: Midnight at the Electric
    Midnight at the Electric
    by Jodi Lynn Anderson
    The world changes, but humanity stays the same. Whether a book takes place in the year 1510 or 2010,...
    by Paulette Jiles
    Paulette Jiles brings the landscape of late 19th century Texas to life in this novel long-listed for...

Win The Library of Light and Shadow