Reader reviews and comments on The Nanny Diaries, plus links to write your own review.

The Nanny Diaries

Mar 2003, 352 pages

There are currently 32 reader reviews for The Nanny Diaries

Cloggie Downunder (01/14/17)

not all that good
The Nany Diaries is the first book in the Nanny series by American authors and ex-nannies, Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus. We start with a nanny called Nanny. Then we have parents Mr X and Mrs X, and their four-year-old son, Grayer. And a potential boyfriend who never gets beyond HH (=Harvard Hottie). So, ignore the silly names, and wade through the interview experiences, the ridiculous demands of these ultra-rich socialites and their first-world problems, and the brand name soup, and there’s actually a reasonable story. Which is that the nanny often has a much better relationship with the children than either of the parents do. And that all that money doesn’t ensure a stable marriage or a happy childhood.

Nanny lacks backbone (but not self-pity) and makes quite a few unwise decisions. Nonetheless, her dedication to her four-year-old charge is genuine. The Xes are, no doubt, an amalgamation of the worst parents the authors have encountered: pretentious, shallow and selfish. This tale gives the reader some laughs, some head-shaking and some gasps at the behaviour of the rich. Is it entertaining enough that readers will want to read the sequel? Doubtful.
Beth K. (07/18/12)

above average light read
A satire of NY society that keeps you entertained. The parenting methods, lifestyle choices and general ambiance are all very typical.
Mrs. X is L. Birnbach but the one who is best portrayed is Mr.X a.k.a. Steven Haft in real life (Birnbach's husband). The author captures the narcissism and shamlessness that are his trademarks.
It's all about NY players and the price that the kids unfortunately end up having to pay.
Beth K. (07/18/12)

above average light read
E.M. (01/22/08)

Okay...
This book was really good. It could do without the slightly inappropriate parts, though. The language, alcohol and drug references were also disappointing. I would give it a 3 out of 5.
trvlquuen1 (11/26/07)

Not as Entertaining
Based on the hype, I was prepared for an easy, entertaining, funny book. Yes, it was an easy read, and at times, the author did have a good sense of humor, however, I don't find child neglect in the least bit funny, nor the treatment of what the rich deem as their "servants". The ending was just heartbreaking as far as the child goes, and I am curious to know how Grover turns out as an adult. I was amazed at the grace and dignity that Nanny, being so young, showed throughout the book. I couldn't believe she put up with what she did, although she did it because of her emotional attachment to Grover and tried to do what she felt was best for him since no one else seemed to. Unfortunately, I'm sure that none of the people who really need to read this book will, or if by some miracle they do, they would not think that it applies to them.
ROSIE FOFO (10/25/06)

LALA
a hilarious book..for kids of 15 and up.
fawnabelle (11/23/04)

I LOVED this book and finished it within a day. It's one of those books that you can't put down until the end. I love the characters ( espically the Harvard Hottie). I realy want them to write a sqeul if anyone knows that they have or plan to please write it in your review THANX!
Susan (11/20/04)

I found this to be an unpleasant read with overwrought characters who had no redeeming qualities. All of the main characters are distasteful, selfish people, and the book focuses on their meanness. It isn't funny, it isn't dramatic, it isn't involving. Not worth the time to read, in my opinion.

• Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci
    by Chloe Benjamin
  • Book Jacket: The Kites
    The Kites
    by Romain Gary, Miranda Richmond Mouillot
    Published by New Directions for the first time in English, Romain Gary's The Kites tells a story of ...

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig