Read what people think about The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane by Kelly Harms, and write your own review.

by Kelly Harms

• Published in USA  Jul 2013

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane

Erin F. (Easton, MD) (05/15/13)

Interesting Concept and Good Characters
I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book. The concept of the book was great. You always hear about these house giveaways, but what happens afterwards? The characters were great. I liked their interactions. It was great to see those group of strangers become a family. I thought there would be more time devoted to figuring out which Janine won the house. I was glad that was not the case. That made it a different story than I had expected and I suppose more realistic.
Power Reviewer Dawn C. (Meridian, ID) (05/15/13)

Great beach read!
What fun, two women from the same town, and the same name Janey and Nean Brown both win a dream home in Maine. When both women show up to collect their winning home things get very interesting & funny. A great beach read to add to your beach bag this summer.
Melissa P. (Greenville, NY) (05/15/13)

The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane
A contest is being held where the winner would be given a dream home. The winner's name is Janine Brown. The only problem? There were two Janine Browns who entered the drawing. Janey, was entered into the contest by her Aunt Midge, is a shy woman who loves to cook. Nean is a down-on-her-luck sort of con artist who sees a way out if she wins this home. Both arrive to the dream house. Janey is the true winner and she and her Aunt Midge decide to let Nean stay for a while. After that, their lives take a very different turn from their normal way of life.

This book was a good read. Janey and Nean were interesting characters, though I did want to slap Nean several times throughout the book. Aunt Midge was quite the character; she reminded me of Grandma Mazur from the Stephanie Plum books. This book was a mix of culinary tidbits, romance and a look at life.

I received a copy of this book from BookBrowse in exchange for a review.
Shawna (Pearland, TX) (05/15/13)

Food, Honesty, Forgiveness, and Second Chances
As a foodie, I enjoyed the quotes at the beginning of each chapter from various top notch cookbooks. Any foodie would enjoy the cooking references throughout the book. Initially, I was not drawn to either of the main characters of The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane. I love Aunt Midge and her attitude about life and the way she helped those she loved work through the troubles they have. Somewhere in the middle of the story, I was drawn into the lives of Janey and Nean. While not a substantial literary read, it is enjoyable and would provide good discussion about life choices, honesty, forgiveness, and second chances.
Sandy P. (Gainesville, FL) (05/14/13)

Surprisingly entertaining
This wasn't at all my normal reading material but that's what I enjoy most about Book Browse. It affords me the opportunity to get out of my normal genres (mysteries and spies) and try something totally uncharacteristic and new to me. This book qualified. I enjoyed it because it didn't have an abundance of characters to keep track of and really did a nice job of character development and the girls learning to be accepting of one another. When you have two 'would-be' winners of a house giveaway you know there's going to be fireworks. One Janine Brown had a penchant for attracting abusive 'bad boys' and the other was dealing with the loss of her true love. Very divergent upbringing and lives but the author somehow made them tolerate each other (with Aunt Midge referring) and actually become fast friends and learn to take care of each other. While the ending is sad it seemed to be the fitting and the final piece to the girls emotional growth and development. As it turned out, Aunt Midge was probably the most positive influence on both of the girls. She definitely spoke her mind and you knew where you stood with her.
Dorothy G. (Naperville, IL) (05/14/13)

Good Summer Read
I was captivated after the first few pages and remained so throughout the book. The characters are revealed to you slowly, much the way strangers become friends, and continue to show their many layers throughout the story. A sweet, easy read and a book I will pass on to all my friends.
Power Reviewer Betty T. (Warner Robins, GA) (05/13/13)

Keep It Interesting...
Aunt Midge said keep it interesting...and that is just what Kelly Harms did in this delightful story of the two Janine Browns who both entered a contest for a house and won it. But which Janine Brown was the true winner? As readers, we are all winners upon diving into this book. The characters are charming, realistically human (some lies to benefit one's self, a few drinks too many, sometimes making a fool of one's self), You can't help loving them all and hoping it all works out for them in the end.
Michelle N. (Hillsdale, NJ) (05/10/13)

Good Characters, Good Story
If your looking for a book with a fun storyline and intriguing characters, this is it - when two women with the same name think they've won a beautiful house in a sweepstakes, that's when the fun starts. While the women try to figure out who the real winner of the house is, they become friends and learn a few things about each other, friendship and life along the way. It was hard for me to pick a favorite character - brazen rough-around-the-edges Nean, shy timid Janey, or the swanky old bird, Aunt Midge - they all made for a fun quick read and definitely a few laughs along the way! Definitely put this on your summer reading list!

• Book Jacket: Harmony

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review