MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about Low Town by Daniel Polansky, and write your own review.

by Daniel Polansky

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Low Town

Heather K. (Brooklyn, NY) (06/04/11)

The Road Well Travelled
My feeling about Low Town is one of deja vu: I've been down this road before.

Warden is physically and emotionally scarred by life, a loner, a drug addict and dealer who used to be on the other side of the law. And despite all he's seen, all he's suffered and lost, he still ... cares, looks to protect, seeks justice. He doesn't want anyone to know he still has a bit of a heart, nor that he yearns for some sort of redemption. He's not a likable individual: gruff, harsh, prone to violence, smart, canny, and lethal.

And fiction abounds with precisely this type of protagonist. I wish I could say something about Low Town sets it apart from other similar novels, but there isn't anything particularly new about the author's approach to this theme. Except, perhaps, for the spurts of peculiarly contemporary language -- this is largely a medieval setting, so the vernacular was jarring. There's some small bits of humor (not nearly enough to offset the horrifying brutality), there's suspense, there's a conclusion, and a few of Warden's mysteries are, throughout, revealed. It is well written (despite my snarky comment above about the language), and much of the writing is beautifully crafted. But it wasn't much fun to read, and Warden wasn't much of a hero to root for, so for me it was a disappointment.
Dana W. (Elbridge, NY) (06/02/11)

Low Town
Low Town presented itself as a mystery/lite sci-fi /adventure story. Daniel Polansky does a masterful job of describing both the look and the feel of Low Town and does the same with all of the characters involved with the story. It was an excellent read that I hope will be followed by many more.
Kim L. (cary, IL) (05/31/11)

Grim tale
Interesting characters. The author does a good job of describing the setting and the characters. It is a dark and grim tale. The author aptly brings this across through his use of words. I found it difficult to read only because the subject matter is sad.
Rebecca W. (Mansfield, PA) (05/31/11)

Great Vacation Reading...
Polansky creates quite an interesting character in The Warden and gives readers a lot to sink their teeth into with his vivid imagery and action filled plot. Difficult to put down, Low Town is great vacation reading... I hope to see The Warden again very soon.
Joe S. (Port Orange, FL) (05/31/11)

A Pretty good read.
I enjoyed the book and finished it rather quickly as it was hard to put down. It was entertaining and filled with action and suspense.The characters and the plot seemed to be very well thought out and very well described. There were a couple of times when things seemed not to fit in the story line or were dragged out to the point of being tiresome. But, overall a good book and fun to read.
Debi B. (Charleston, SC) (05/30/11)

A Most Excellent Thriller
Low Town is a gritty, fast-paced, action-packed adventure which takes place in another time and place. Mr. Polansky is very descriptive, which made me feel I was with The Warden every step he took. I couldn't put this book down. I hope this is the first of many adventures for The Warden.
Les G. (Fort Collins, CO) (05/29/11)

Excellent fantasy/thriller
Low Town by Daniel Polansky is a very well written fantasy/thriller. The fantasy elements are relatively minor, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much. It is an action-packed, fast-paced, thriller with an excellent conclusion. Palansky's vivid writing makes the scenes come alive, and the action never stops.

Thanks to BookBrowse First Impressions for a chance to read the ARC of this wonderful book.

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

I I A Sign O T T