Read what people think about Sister by Rosamund Lupton, and write your own review.

Sister

by Rosamund Lupton

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

• Published in USA  Jun 2011
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Sister

Dorothy M. (Owatonna, MN) (06/03/11)

Sisters
Creatively written in letter form to her sister Tess. Even after Tess's body is found, Bee continues as if she is talking with her sister. Therefore,not only do we learn about her search for the murderer, but we learn about both sisters' lives.

Fascinating, suspenseful, and for once in my life, there was a surprise ending that completely shocked and fooled me. I loved it.
Barbara F. (Saint Louis, MO) (05/31/11)

By all means......
Do you have a sister?... then by all means read "Sister"....Only have brothers, then by all means read "Sister"....Only child? ...by all means read "Sister"
A five star absorbing, stylish winner....
Becky M. (Crumpler, NC) (05/31/11)

Mystery of haunting beauty and compassion
This reader was engaged from the start of this hauntingly beautiful and compassionate mystery. With its gripping complexity and heart-wrenching passion, the story had about it the same unforgettable intensity of "The Lovely Bones". While the mystery itself creates a page-turner, the poetry of the love between sisters is even more dominant. Lupton's language adds depth and captures the sense of profound loss throughout the novel. When the narrator states, "grief is love turned into an eternal missing", the reader experiences the pain she feels at the loss of her sister. And at that point, there is no rest until the murderer is found or the last page ends.
Patricia D. (Woodland Hills, CA) (05/25/11)

Searching for a Sister
Sister, by Rosamund Lupton, is creatively and cleverly written using an internal monologue type of narrative to engage the reader. Beatrice, the older of the sisters tries to unravel the mystery behind the death of Tess, her younger sister. Beatrice says she knows Tess almost better than she does her own self and Tess would never have attempted to kill herself. There is little action in the story, but the reader is still drawn along through the scenes that are developed mentally as Beatrice unfolds the tale of Tess's artistic life at college. Even though the characters are not described in detail, Lupton allows the reader to make the characters come to life in their own mind. At one point, the reader eventually questions the sanity of both sisters! This is not the kind of thriller/mystery that is commonplace, graphic, or scary. The last fifty pages holds all the secrets and the reader is held in suspense until the book is finished. If you're looking for something a little different, Sister will be the book that is waiting for you.
Kristine L. (The Woodlands, TX) (05/24/11)

Sister
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. While I had a little difficulty in the beginning understanding the flow of chapters and time sequence, I can honestly encourage every reader to hang in there! I read the book in little over one day of pure blissful reading of a great mystery. Having three sisters of my own, I thought the author nailed the unique relationship we all share with our sisters over the years. Job Well Done!
Susan P. (Boston, MA) (05/23/11)

If You Have a Sister You Love, You'll Love This Book
This is a very hard-to-put-down story about a young British woman living and working in NYC who goes back to London when her younger sister goes missing. She tries to find out what happened and why. The story is believable although almost no one believes the older sister's views about what the younger sister did or would have done. As the older sister starts to look into her sister's life, she begins believing/trusting no one, as does the reader. It's told as a letter to the missing sister, with some back and forth in the timeline. The story is beautifully paced, giving the reader clues a little bit at a time. As enjoyable and well done as the mystery was, equally compelling were heart-breaking moments of the bond between sisters.
Linda S. (Oceanside, NY) (05/23/11)

A Haunting Page Turner
It’s always a good feeling to start a book and to be engrossed right from the start; it’s an even better feeling when you close the book completely satisfied. This was my experience with “Sister”.

At first blush the premise seems rather mundane, Bee’s sister is missing. When Tess is found dead and her death is declared a suicide Bee refuses to accept it. The idea isn’t unique; but what sets this book apart is the author’s way of telling the story; the book is in the form of a letter from Bee to Tess. This open letter concept really lets us in on Bee’s thought process as she tries to tie all the threads of Tess’s story together.

The story is rich in details and character development and the writing is excellent. I did figure out part of the mystery but Lupton throws in a twist at the end that I did not see coming – although there were several clues along the way.

A real page-turner that still haunts me.
C. T. (Aurora, CO) (05/20/11)

Sister by Rosamund Lupton
This book is a mystery/thriller. Two sisters, Beatrice and Tess, have always been close after living through the trauma of losing their brother to cystic fibrosis when they were young and then their father walking out on the family soon after. As the story begins, a very pregnant Tess is missing, and Bea flies from the U.S. to London to help look for her. When Tess's body is found in a filthy park bathroom, the police believe she committed suicide, but Bea refuses to go along with that theory and continues with her own investigation right up to the shocking conclusion. I did find this book somewhat difficult to read. The narrator jumped back and forth between time periods, and I couldn't always tell immediately which time period she was speaking of. Also, even considering that her sister has just died, Beatrice has some fairly abrupt personality changes that didn't ring true. The author did do an excellent job of setting the scene and describing the surroundings for a real "you are there" feel to the book.

• Book Jacket: Before We Sleep
    by Kate Moore

Win News of the World

The Gypsy Moth Summer
    by Julia Fierro

One of the most anticipated books of 2017.

T's S I Numbers