Read what people think about Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda, and write your own review.

by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

• Published in USA  Mar 2010

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Secret Daughter

Elizabeth K. (glenshaw, PA) (01/21/10)

Secret Daughter
This is a wonderful heart warming multicultural story that spans 20 years. Readers will enjoy reading and discussing the difference in American and modern Indian cultures. The common thread of love of a child will appeal to all ages. The glossary at the back of the books is helpful.
Maria P. (Washington, DC) (01/20/10)

The Past is Another Country
Many themes are presented in this memorable novel. In Secret Daughter the past is a foreign country, a country of extremes where a newborn child can be cast off and another revered for its gender. Adoption provides solutions but no ultimate answer. The past requires a visit so that we can truly see the present for what it really is, our home, our families and our earth.
Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (Victorville, CA) (01/18/10)

Heartbreak and Hope
The loss of a child takes varied forms, but each is a cause of unspeakable grief and heartache. The Secret Daughter enlightens us about a place and a culture that might be unfamiliar to some readers, but the essence of the story is that loss, whether it comes as a result of miscarriage, sacrifice, or life decisions. But I was not left with a sense of hopelessness, rather just the opposite. The author handles all this with great skill and a style that kept me involved with the characters and their story to the very end. I encourage anyone who likes engaging fiction with a chance to learn something about India and its culture to read this one: it will stay with you long after you finish the last page.
Katharine K. (Alpine, CA) (01/18/10)

Secret Daughter
I REALLY enjoyed this book. It is one of those books that ends each chapter in such a way that you want to read on. I finished it in two days. I think it would be a good book club choice because it presents lots to talk about. It offers the perspective from two different cultures and shows how much misunderstanding there can be when both sides are not open to learn. It also explores the emotions of families of mixed cultures, via marriage and adoption. In this day and age, with the world getting very small, this book offers lots to think about and, even more important, talk about.
Katharine K. (Alpine, CA) (01/18/10)

Secret Daughter
Power Reviewer Judy G. (Carmel, IN) (01/18/10)

Secret Daughter--successful dual storytelling
This debut novelist has accomplished a great deal with her first novel through excellent character development for Asha & Kavita, the main characters. The descriptions of Asha's family in India transport the reader to the sights, sounds and smells of the country. The descriptions, seen through the eyes of Asha, an American despite her birthright, are particularly moving. This is a book easy to read, practically straight through, and to leave with a fully satisfied experience. I hope she writes more novels!
Power Reviewer Lee M. (Creve Coeur, Missouri) (01/16/10)

Love
Have you ever reached the middle of a book and vowed to reread it again? That happened to me when I read "Secret Daughter" by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. From the small village in India to the California coast she has analyzed the various and wondrous aspects of the feelings we call love. The relationships between husband and wife, mother and daughter, and father and daughter are richly described. You feel the heat and color of India, the richness of California, but most important the pain and joy of family! Pure love at its best.
Muneeb (01/16/10)

Review of Shilpi Somaya Gowda's "Secret Daughter"
The characters confront infanticide, violence, poverty, childlessness, infertility, adoption, illness, loss, and marital problems. I think the story and the writing are a bit elementary and uninspired. I recommend this book to those who like to learn how people live in other parts of the world.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review