Read what people think about Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda, and write your own review.

by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

• Published in USA  Mar 2010

There are currently 21 reader reviews for Secret Daughter

Ann L. (Arnold, MD) (01/13/10)

Secret Daughter
Good story, parts of book which took place in India were excellent. The dialogue in the beginning was a little stilted but improved throughout the book as well as the writing style. The character of Asha was excellent and well developed. I liked Kativa and the grandmother also. But Somer seemed somewhat artificial and lacking in depth. There might have been too many issues covered in the book and better to focus on just a few. However, I kept on thinking about parts of the book that took place in Mumbai after I finished reading it and that for me is the sign of a good book.
(Phoenix, AZ) (01/09/10)

"Secret Daughter"
I was unable to put this book down. It had everything........plot, interesting characters, location, and a rewarding ending. This is for anyone interested in learning about other cultures, and the emotional turmoil of motherhood.
Mary Lou C. (Shenandoah Junction, WV) (01/09/10)

Secret Daughter
Secret Daughter is a tale of two worlds. It is filled with despair, yet ever hopeful. The author captures the complexities of blending two very different cultures, made more challenging with adoption. It is a story for and about women, and you quickly connect with the characters. Despite the misery and destitution the author shares with you, the story is uplifting and optimistic. The strength and common bond of motherhood and "family" is evident no matter what culture or setting. The women in this story are inspiring and resilient. I highly recommend this book.
Susan J. (Twain Harte, CA) (01/08/10)

I couldn't put down this book!
"Secret Daughter" transported me to another world in the way of "Shanghai Girls", "Honolulu", "Cutting for Stone", "The Help", and "On the Corner of Bitter and Sweet", but in addition this book engaged me on a deep emotional level. My only regret is that it could have been expanded by not skipping ahead in time so often. I wanted to know so much more about these families. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a well-written, gripping story, and especially to those who can relate to living in two cultures or to the complex issues of adoption. I know I would have loved this book anyway, even if I didn't have a three-year old granddaughter adopted from Kolkata.
Power Reviewer Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN) (01/07/10)

Excellent book
Secret Daughter is a story of love, contrast of cultures and family conflict. The depth of understanding in the book is so touching. The unconditional love of a Mother for her child and what she will do for that chld is a focal point.

The contract of cultures in India is expressed vividly. There is so much in this book that would be wonderful for discussion with any book group. I will recommend it to mine. After I started the book I couldn't put it down. It is a winner!

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Castle of Water
    by Mark Kurlansky
  • Book Jacket: Temporary People
    Temporary People
    by Deepak Unnikrishnan
    In this powerful and innovative collection of 28 short stories, Deepak Unnikrishnan presents a ...

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Manderley Forever
    by Tatiana de Rosnay

Bestselling author Tatiana de Rosnay pays homage to Daphne du Maurier.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

Polite conversation is rarely either.

Y S M B, I'll S Y