What do readers think of The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth? Write your own review.

Summary | Discuss | Reviews | More Information | More Books

by Sally Hepworth

The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth X
The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth

• Published in USA  Dec 2015

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Secrets of Midwives

Ann B. (Bethlehem, PA)

Not disappointing
It was with great anticipation that I selected The Secret of Midwives. After all, I am an ardent fan of the PBS series Call the Midwife and still hold Chris Bohjalian's book, Midwives in a place of honor among thrilling reads. However, as I began to read, I quickly wondered if this was a good choice for me. A story of three generations of midwives, their secrets and their experiences. At first, it lacked a sense of theme, as it could have been any occupation; The Secrets of Lawyers, or Doctors, or any other occupation. However, stick with it and the wonders of the plight of midwives their challenges and triumphs unfold. The characters are developed with great care and their secrets told with unexpected consequences. A very discussable book for clubs who will certainly identify with one or more of the main characters.
Maggie S. (Durango, CO)

The Secrets of Midwives
Three generations of midwives with their own individual secrets. That is the premise of the book by Sally Hepworth "The Secrets of Midwives". This book was an easy read. The characters were believable and the author did a great job of giving the reader some insight to the world of midwifery. I thought it was well written and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend the book to those who love women's fiction.
Robin F. (Tucson, AZ)

The Secrets of the Midwives
The book captured my attention from the first page. I am always interested in reading books about women, but Midwives is more than that. The author's development of her characters let me really see them. These women certainly had faults, but there were also strong women with a clear sense of what is right and they had the courage to do the right thing. Especially Grace who was courageous enough to stay with her pregnant mothers, even while under investigation. I thought it took Neva much longer to figure out the right thing to do. This a book I would recommend that my book club read. Thank you for giving me the opportunity.
Anita R. (North Barrington, IL)

The Secrets of Midwives
I thought this would be a lecture strongly promoting home births and knocking hospital births. Fortunately, not so. Three women with interesting personal secrets are just incidentally all midwives. Sometimes it was a little preachy and often empathetic--but all together a good fast read very much fiction, which I like.
Laura Gail W. (Kapaa, HI)

Great read
I liked this book for a few reasons, mainly the character development. I found I liked all of the three main characters for different reasons. Their personal lives were revealed with flashbacks which worked well in this book because they were short and the plot returned easily. I liked the way the author kept the story moving with anticipation of who would find out what and when.
The ending was a bit of a surprise but with some touches of a romance novel.
Virginia W. (Chapel Hill, NC)

The Secrets of Midwives
The Secrets of Midwives is written following the lives of three generations of women who are all midwives. Neva, her mother Grace and her grandmother Floss all have secrets that they are guarding while dealing with the complexities of their differing views of midwifery. The research into the history of midwifery is well done and the story of the three generations of women is developed nicely as the book progress. Although these characters were well developed the men in their lives were less defined. This was the only disappointment in this generally well written and well researched story.
Viqui G. (State College, PA)

The Secrets of Midwives
I enjoyed this novel of 3 generations of midwives. The narrative style with each character telling her story in alternating chapters was engaging and made the story line easy to follow. Since I am a women's health nurse practitioner, I particularly liked reading about the midwifery practice and deliveries. The three female protagonists were well developed and believable. The male side characters were more two dimensional, but since the story was not really about them, it was less important. My only criticism is that the story arc was very predictable and it became melodramatic near the end with Neva and Patrick's relationship. Otherwise I would recommend this novel to any woman who wanted a "light" read.
Kay D. (Strongsville, OH)

Multiple Secrets Reveal Multiple Links
This was a quick read. Enjoyed the three person narration style which changed from chapter to chapter. Each main character had a different personality and approached similar topics with a different viewpoint. I did think the storyline was a bit predictable, but it flowed. If you are looking for a light, quick read this is a good choice.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: What Storm, What Thunder
    What Storm, What Thunder
    by Myriam J. A. Chancy
    What Storm, What Thunder illuminates life in Haiti during and after the massive earthquake on ...
  • Book Jacket: Noor
    Noor
    by Nnedi Okorafor
    Noor's heroine goes by the moniker AO. Though officially this stands for her given name, Anwuli ...
  • Book Jacket: Five Tuesdays in Winter
    Five Tuesdays in Winter
    by Lily King
    Lily King's two recent novels Euphoria and Writers & Lovers could hardly be more different: one has ...
  • Book Jacket: Never
    Never
    by Ken Follett
    Ken Follett's thriller Never outlines a chillingly possible path to World War III. Fifty-year-old ...

My Broken Language
by Quiara Alegría Hudes
A Pulitzer Prize–winning playwright tells her lyrical coming of age story in a sprawling Puerto Rican family.

Honor
    by Thrity Umrigar

Bestselling author Thrity Umrigar tells the moving story of two Indian women and the courage they inspire in each other.

The Paris Bookseller
    by Kerri Maher

How a humble bookseller fought incredible odds to bring one of the 20th century's most important books to the world.

Don't join the book burners. Don't think you are going to conceal faults by concealing evidence that they ever ...

L's G T Show O T R