Reader reviews and comments on Year of Wonders, plus links to write your own review.

A Novel of The Plague

Apr 2002, 320 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Year of Wonders

Elizabeth

Outstanding
Using this horrible era in history as the basis of the book, it takes you into the homes and into the lives of the people in the 1600's who had old myths about witchcraft, awful ways of curing illnesses, and describes their ignorance of medical procedures and cures and lack of them.

The characters are described in detail and are quite interesting. It definitely isn't a boring historical account of this epidemic...the weaving of the lives and the history makes you aware of what it was like to live during that period of time in Europe and encourages you to continue reading.

Despite all of the trauma, I really liked the book.
Elizabeth

Outstanding

Mav

Year of Wonders
It's rare that I can read a book more than once. This one I have read twice and will savour the next time I read it. I can't put my finger on why it's magical but it truly is. There is something so utterly engaging about the way it is written. It is sad but equally full of hope. It's a must read.
rebecca wood

absolutely amazing
I have just finished year of wonders and I would honestly recommend it to ANYONE! It is the most fascinating, interesting book I have ever read! I have been searching google about the plague and eyam..... and I would love someone to recommend me some books which are like this one!!

I cannot stress enough how much I loved it. Reading this book has also given me an insight about how they managed to live back in 1665 especially raising children, I too have 2 boys and I felt like I could relate to Anna's loss (how she felt). I was actually in tears......honestly!

That is my review and I LOVE THE BOOK!!
Jan

Year of Wonders
I have to disagree that 'too much imagination' has been used in this novel! Shakespeare wrote in the late 1500s and early 1600s, based many of his plays on historic events, threw in a huge dose of vivid imagination, and we have been reading, watching and loving his works ever since. So clearly use of imagination is not a modern phenomenon - Anna Frith is resourceful and adaptable, a strong woman in extraordinary circumstances. Even if you know your history there is no reason why you can't enjoy this work of fiction which takes its inspiration from historical facts, and more to the point is beautifully written. As an Englishwoman I am astounded at (Australian) Brooks' affinity with English as it was spoken in the midlands in the 1600s, and her eye for detail. Fantastic.
Sarah S

Year of Wonders
I could not put this book down, not for a willing second. Unbelievable desciption. The sadness, sorrow and suffering the characters endured seemed almost tangible. My favourite paragragh which summed their lives came early in the book:
" I have watched it (the sapling in the middle of the street) from its first seed leaves, wondering when someone would pull it out. No one has yet done so, and now it stands already a yard high. Footprints testify that we are all walking round it. I wonder if it is indifference, or whether, like me, others are so brimful of endings that they cannot bear to wrench even a scrawny sapling from its tenuous grip on ife"
Also the contrast in Mr Mompellion's character was shocking, yet so magnificently presented.
The ending to the novel, which i thought was extremely creative and believable, was truly fantastic.
I truly thank you Geraldine, for this certain masterpiece in literature. My personal opinion is that this book would make a fantastic motion picture...
Fiona Marquis-Kyle

This was simply the most moving non fiction I have read in years. I was enthralled throughout; there were no lulls in the narrative.
Kaitlyn

I thought this was book was great! I had to read it for a Grade 12 University English class for an ISU and it was definitly a good read! Thanks Geraldine Brooks!

Wolf Season
    by Helen Benedict
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Leonardo da Vinci

The Days When Birds Come Back
    by Deborah Reed

Win Mothers of Sparta

Mothers of Sparta: A Memoir

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!