We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of Year of Wonders, plus links to write your own review.

Year of Wonders

Aug 2001, 352 pages

Apr 2002, 320 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Year of Wonders

Denise Marie

This was a fabulous book. I had to read it for a History class in college and I couldn't put it down. I refuse to sell it back to the bookstore!!!
Annie

A wonderful book skillfully written and a page turner.
The characters were well fleshed out, and aroused sympathy- even the cruel ones. Although one basically knew what was going to happen, one was intrigued to see how it would unfold. Overall it is an optimistic story although the details are harrowing at times. The ending was unrealistic and I would have to mark it down for that. The rest of the book was supurb.
Kristen

A masterpiece.
Cathy Tailby

This book has lingered in my memory since I read it a year ago. It is about people living in a small community at a time that is remote to us now, when life was precarious, yet human relationships were treasured. I was watching a Channel 4 documentary last night about the Great Plague in London in 1665. Although that occurred in a huge city, the stories of human suffering (described from the historical records of one small parish) were similar to those in the book. The central character of the novel, Anna Frith, is heroic, as were some of those in real life who lived through those hardships, and I found that inspiring. The book rang true in its evocation of the way of life and language of the period, and it seems to have been based on considerable historical research of an actual event that afflicted a real village in England in the 17th century. The ending of the story is perhaps fanciful, but not totally incredible. A really good read!
Katie

This book is beautifully written. Although there are difficult, even gruesome events, the language is beautiful. I have read it twice and enjoyed it as much the second time because I just enjoyed her words and language so much.
Nan

What a gem. I couldn't put it down. I'm surprised there is no reading guide for this book. The main character Anna is inspirational. I really liked the 15th century setting. So interesting and unusual. Good lessons in faith and perseverance. I'd like to read about Anna later in life!
Carolyn Leoanrd

What a marvelous trip to 15th century England! I could hardly put the book down. The writing sings! I predict a great future with fame and fortune for Geraldine Brooks. She shows incredible writing talent. I'd love to meet her and can't wait to read her next book.
J Little

Awesome! Will use it with other novels about history for my English class this year!

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    The Djinn Waits a Hundred Years
    by Shubnum Khan
    Shubnum Khan's eloquent and moving debut novel opens in 1932, when a djinn that haunts a house by ...
  • Book Jacket: Transient and Strange
    Transient and Strange
    by Nell Greenfieldboyce
    Throughout her powerful essay collection, Transient and Strange, science reporter Nell ...
  • Book Jacket: Prophet Song
    Prophet Song
    by Paul Lynch
    Paul Lynch's 2023 Booker Prize–winning Prophet Song is a speedboat of a novel that hurtles...
  • Book Jacket: The Frozen River
    The Frozen River
    by Ariel Lawhon
    "I cannot say why it is so important that I make this daily record. Perhaps because I have been ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Mockingbird Summer
by Lynda Rutledge
A powerful and emotional coming-of-age novel set in the 1960s by the bestselling author of West with Giraffes.

Members Recommend

Leaving
    by Roxana Robinson

An engrossing exploration of the vows we make to one another and what we owe to others and ourselves.

The Adversary
    by Michael Crummey

An enthralling novel about a small town struggling to survive, and a bitter vendetta between two rivals.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)