MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Ghost Soldiers, plus links to write your own review.

Ghost Soldiers

The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission

by Hampton Sides

Ghost Soldiers

May 2001, 336 pages
    May 2002, 384 pages

There are currently 31 reader reviews for Ghost Soldiers

Michael Koptke (12/11/02)

The book was a gift from my grandmother, a survivor of Pearl Harbor. I gave the book a good look over and was pulled in to its magnificent content. Sides has yeilded a sword of understanding. He grasped the trauma and horrific conditions of Cabanatuan Camp. The book itself is the product of pure genius. Never have I read a book that gives such vivid detail and is well researched amongst all things. This book is a "must read" to anyone who wishes to understand all sides of the story. Form the Death March to the raid the book holds the reader in a colosal pull of history.
Zachary Sweet (10/02/02)

This book is a breath of fresh air, in a time when heroic unsubstantiated war novels fill the shelfs. Hampton Sides not only gives you minute by minute action, but also explores the cultural differences that tore each side apart. Ghost Soldiers is a brilliant collection of real life stories of horror that touches the heart.
Vicky Pinpin-Feinstein (08/27/02)

It was coincidental that I started reading Ghost Soldiers while visiting Normandy where we were reminded what WWII meant to the people of Normandy, the sacrifices made by its people, and the heroism of each and every Allied soldier. Visiting war memorials and museums there juxtaposed quite poignantly with the powerful and stirring narrative provided by Sides in the book. Interestingly enough, I am a native of San Fernando, Pampanga, a town mentioned in the book where the ghost soldiers were stuffed on trains by their violent Japanese captors. I remember too well the stories told to me as a young girl by my parents and grandmother of the atrocities commmitted by the Japanese in the Philippines. I am glad that such an account of their atrocities and cruelty is faithfully preserved by those who suffered from it and by the intense writing style of Sides. This is a must-read book for those who want to be reminded that violence, whatever its face, will always be a fact of war.
joe Mcc (06/13/02)

Excellent, the rangers and POW'S are real hero's. Well written, good for history buffs, exciting.
Betty Dunn (06/07/02)

The book seemed like it's good but I like to see and feel what I'm reading
thats why I give you a four!!
AeroAngel (06/03/02)

I am a Wolrd War II and Vietnam fanatic (not that it's a good thing, liking war) but I've read my share of war books. Even if you're not like me, you'll love this book. There's never a dull moment!
Sudsy (05/21/02)

If you are a history buff and enjoy a well told war story this book is for you!

Do No Harm
    by Henry Marsh
    British neurosurgeon Henry Marsh might already be familiar as the subject of the Emmy-winning ...
  • Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q