Reader reviews and comments on Ghost Soldiers, plus links to write your own review.

Ghost Soldiers

The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission

by Hampton Sides

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides

May 2001, 336 pages
    May 2002, 384 pages

There are currently 31 reader reviews for Ghost Soldiers

Amber (07/18/04)

This book was wonderful and an accurate depiction of what happened to these POW's. I would recommend it to anyone.
Jerhet Ask (05/24/04)

Awesome book, especially if you're interested in WWII and its many unknown stories. Thanks.
Audrey (02/26/04)

I didnt like this book because personally i thought it was borning and it felt like i was reading my American History book instead of a novel. I felt bad for all of the soldiers and everything, I just think that the author could have made it more interesting . I kept losing focus and I would start daydreaming whenever I read this book.
Thelma Blue (01/23/04)

I like the book The Ghost Soldier. The only thing,I feel sorry for my dad, who was the ist liutenent of
the group called Bazooka, because his name was not mentioned at all in any of these stories. He has been looking for the any of the 6th army ranger taht is living to have a reunion with them. My dad headed the filipino group that worked with the 6th army rangers. Please, help my dad to make his dream come true of meeting them again if any is still alive. My dad is here now in US and has been looking for them since 1991.I will greatly appreciate if you could help. He is 87 years old now.
Thanks
mandee (01/06/04)

Mandee, 14, I love this book! It is one of the greatest war stories i have ever read. It is a riveting, compelling story of heroism about the brave soldiers of the 6th Ranger Battalion going in behind enemy lines to rescue the POW's from Cabanatuan Camp. It is definitely a must read story for all those who love war stories!
Isabel (11/25/03)

This is by far the best book I have ever read about a rescue mission and the life of a POW. I am very interested in WWII, and although the author did not give more details about the life in the camps, the general idea was well explained. I do not think there will be a book that will totally explain what these men went through, but I read it with a sincere heart and I got the main point. Reading this book brought tears to my eyes, to know how many great people have given their lives in order for me to have what I have. The best I can do is to pass it on to my children. Since schools teach "selected history," it is my responsibility to teach my children to appreciate this wonderful country and to be proud of the men that have fought for it. I highly recommend this book.
Roberta Setzler (10/31/03)

My husband served aboard the General A. E. Anderson during WWII and we just returned from the annual reunion of the men who served on this troop transport. To these men this FICTION book is just that, pure fiction, when it comes to anything he says about the Anderson. It is quite evident to these brave men that Mr. Sides did not bother to check his sorces or do any research when it comes to his description of the Anderson. Nothing he says about this wonderful ship is accurate and I wish there was some way he could correct this part of his book. If this section of the book is so incorrect, makes us wonder about the rest of the story.me
Lee Ann Iaeger (08/06/03)

My family never received much information on what happen to my Uncle while he was held in a Japanese POW camp after the fall of Bataan. He died of malnutrition in one of the camps. Since I was a child, I’ve viewed the Purple Heart on the mantle and wondered what he had to go through. This book opened my eyes. I never, in my wildest dreams, guessed it would have been that horrible. I don’t know how many times I cried for him while reading this book. It was so compelling. I couldn’t put it down.

• Book Jacket: If We Were Villains

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R