Reader reviews and comments on Empire Falls, plus links to write your own review.

Empire Falls

by Richard Russo

Empire Falls by Richard Russo X
Empire Falls by Richard Russo

May 2001, 512 pages
    Apr 2002, 512 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Empire Falls

Anonymous (10/10/01)

Full of characters you come to love, Empire Falls remains with me many weeks after having read it. Our hero, a flawed, though decent man, tries to get through life in a town that is fading fast. He deals with a quirky father patiently, a troubled daughter, an ex-wife who seems to regret her decision to divorce, the memory of a mother with a deep secret. The surprise ending seems cut out of current headlines, and detracts from the payoff at the end. Despite this, I recommend it highly.
Anonymous (09/12/01)

Poney
Russo continues to write well, but reading endlessly about rather dull
characters is not too rewarding. Small, failing towns tend to seem even
more depressing under his pen.

• Book Jacket: The Story of Arthur Truluv
    by Louise Erdrich

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

Wonder Valley
    by Ivy Pochoda

We must believe in luck. For how else can we explain the success of those we don't like?

E Dog H I D