Reader reviews and comments on Empire Falls, plus links to write your own review.

Empire Falls

by Richard Russo

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

May 2001, 512 pages
    Apr 2002, 512 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Empire Falls

Kevin Kolbe (01/02/03)

Richard Russo not only has the genius to understand the scope of human emotion, but the courage to be truthful about it. Russo understands, perhaps better than any other author, how much a character's faults endear us to them.
Sara Strawhun (12/11/02)

I thought this book was amazing. It was just real life, it didn't try too make any real life situation easier than it really is, it told the truth. I just couldn't put it down.
William Thomas (11/20/02)

This was one of the best books I've ever read. The characters are realistic and compelling. Russo evokes in us a barage of emotions from elation to sadness. This book reminds me of another book I read "Descent into Illusions"
Ali Lalegini (11/13/02)

Just amazing! Well structured and stunning style!
C. Green (08/15/02)

Reminded me of one of my favorites, "Shipping News". Miles is a decent man but something of a loser and you can't help but be in his corner. The book was engrossing with wonderful minor characters - sad and funny, depressing and hopeful.
Judith Cohen (07/22/02)

Loved it, gut level and that's the key. All the characters seemed real, particularly Janine, poor darling. I agree with Russo, that the father-daughter which is tender and touching is the heart of the book.
Douglas Lukaszewski (06/23/02)

The character of Max Roby is one of the funniest to read in a long while.
Lars Joe Morgan (03/05/02)

Interminably prolix, profoundly depressing, and a criminal waste of paper.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Goodbye Days
    Goodbye Days
    by Jeff Zentner
    Guilt can be a heavy burden for anyone to manage, but it's especially difficult for teenagers. ...
  • Book Jacket: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    by Hannah Tinti
    Hannah Tinti follows her spectacular 2008 debut, The Good Thief, with a novel of uncommon ...
  • Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts
    Music of the Ghosts
    by Vaddey Ratner

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

All my major works have been written in prison...

Y S M B, I'll S Y