Reader reviews and comments on Empire Falls, plus links to write your own review.

Empire Falls

by Richard Russo

Empire Falls by Richard Russo X
Empire Falls by Richard Russo

May 2001, 512 pages
    Apr 2002, 512 pages

There are currently 26 reader reviews for Empire Falls

C.A.A. (08/24/03)

I absolutely loved this book. I'm 16 and I think that I can relate to almost every aspect that this book describes. This was quite a page turner- I couldn't put it down! This was assigned as a summer reading book, but I have no idea how a book this good ended up on the list. Usually the books I have to read for school are a chore; this was a pleasure.
brittany (08/19/03)

I'm 14 and my high school assigned this book to me. I'm not a jamielyn but even in my opinon this book is not suitible or entertaining to my age group. there is major cussing and talk of erect_ _ _ _ and orgas_ _. it is also horribly slow and boring. most books are slow in the beginning because the author must explain the charachters and the settings then the plot starts to unravel, but in empire falls there is no plot its just keeps on explaining the stupid charachters and there miserable life. here is my favorite stupid quote from Empire Falls:

"there are three human primal urges: to eat, to f_ _ _, and to kill your pain in the a _ _ mother."
Shannon (08/08/03)

There was no substantial material in this book. I do not feel that it altered or questioned any of my perceptions nor did I feel sympathetic the the blue collar anti hero of this book. It makes for ok reading if you are reading simply for the purpose of having something to do. However if you are looking for the deep, meaningful, sweeping book promised in the reviews... you will be sadly dissappointed by Empire Falls.
CD (07/08/03)

A real disappointment. The dialogue falls flat, the characters are simply stereotypes, the plot is plodding and predictable. I suppose many people will enjoy the "storytelling" here, but no one will remember this book in thirty years. Where are all the great editors in the publishing world hiding? Or is this just the type of writing Americans now crave?
Megan (06/26/03)

Poorly developed characters, Russo condescends to the people in this small town. Real people are not as simple as Russo portrays them. The foreshadowing is obvious, I guessed the plot "twists" from the beginning. People had too many superficial realizations that they never acted on and the book felt like it is set in the 1950's. A boring "This is Your Life" kind of world with hokey dialogue. Larry McMurtry lite.
M. Milligan (05/30/03)

One of the best books I've read this year. As soon as I finished I read it again just to gain a deeper perspective.
Debralyn (03/19/03)

Easy and quick reading. I enjoy Richard Russos style of writing. I think some of the characters needed to be more developed.
J.Moore (01/13/03)

This is a wonderful book that I just hated to see end. I love to find a book that is so good that I look forward to going to bed early at night just to get back to it and this is that book for me.

• Book Jacket: The Story of Arthur Truluv
    by Louise Erdrich

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

The Story of Arthur Truluv
    by Elizabeth Berg

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

E Dog H I D