Reader reviews and comments on Flags of Our Fathers, plus links to write your own review.

Flags of Our Fathers

by Ron Powers, James Bradley

Flags of Our Fathers by Ron Powers, James Bradley X
Flags of Our Fathers by Ron Powers, James Bradley

May 2000, 400 pages
    Oct 2001, 384 pages

There are currently 32 reader reviews for Flags of Our Fathers

Anonymous (01/10/02)

I am 15 and I loved the book. It proved false many things I hand thouht about the picture. A compelling read that was hard to put down and pick up. It was very emotional.
Anonymous (12/31/01)

Cl Noring US Marine ww11. I knew and served with Gagnon at the Washington Navy yard as security. All of us had fought at the Guadalcanal campaign.
Gagnopn and I were on dispatched duty at the Naval torpedo factory in Alexander Va. station.

In the fall or early winter of 1944 Gagnon(Rena)? were on librerty in Washing DC.
Walking down the street we saw a D C cop hit a Marine over the head with his Billie club, we went to help out our brother Marine. More cops came more Marines. When the paddy wagon showed up I tried to get Gagnon out of there. He did not make it.
The Corps transferred him to the Pacific area. Then to Iwo Jima.
Now at 80 years I am still proud of him and others of his ilk
Thanks James Bradley great book

Renee
My father was a Navy corpsman who survived the battle of Iwo Jima. It was for this reason that I purchased James Bradley's book - and quite honestly, because I knew nothing of the author beyond his relationship to one of the flag raisers, I expected it to be an average read.
Not so.
This book is extraordinarily well written; it was as difficult to put down as it was, at times, to pick up. Although my father was not as reluctant to talk about Iwo Jima as Bradley's father was, the book brought the brutality of the battle into even sharper focus for me - and, within its pages, "Flags of Our Fathers" taught me things about my own father than I hadn't learned in 36 years of being his daughter.
Thank you, James Bradley. I will forever remember "Doc" Bradley for his bravery and humility - and I will always treasure my copy of "Flags of Our Fathers".

C. Marin
This book is one of the best I've ever read. My emotion overwhelmed me! I wept throughout this powerful story of how these young, courageous boys were forced to become men. It makes me proud that I have served my country. I will read this book time and time again.

M. Fischer
This is a must read! I am so proud to be married to a veteran of the United States Marine Corp. This book has opened an understanding about what occurred during the battle on Iwo Jima that I had never had a clear picture of before. Thank you, Mr. Bradley for writing this book.

Dan St. Germain
One of the best book I have ever read. James Bradley did an excellent job of researching. Wish James would do more of this kind of work. In many ways feel this is the experience I have had with my father and his experience in WW II. Can relate to this very much. I think that James's calling is to do more of this kind of work. I appreciate the efforts of the author and his love and understand of his father.

B Petersen
I am a 15 year old student who read this book for historical reasons. Bradley did an amazing job at bringing to life the fact that these men who fight lived lives just like I do. It just brings to life the thanks we owe these men who fight.

Paul P
I find the Flags of our Fathers, particularly the battle scenes most accurate. I happened to be at Iwo Jima at the time and witnessed the raising of the flag. I was a navy corpman attached to the 4th div. Marines. John Bailey did an excellent job. I hope more people read it.

• Book Jacket: I Found My Tribe

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes