Reader reviews and comments on Flags of Our Fathers, plus links to write your own review.

Flags of Our Fathers

by Ron Powers, James Bradley

Flags of Our Fathers by Ron Powers, James Bradley X
Flags of Our Fathers by Ron Powers, James Bradley

May 2000, 400 pages
    Oct 2001, 384 pages

There are currently 32 reader reviews for Flags of Our Fathers

Paul P. Lazovick (11/03/02)

I've re read the Flags of Our fathers, several times, as it brought back many memories for me. As I served at Iwo Jima, and was there at the time the flag was raised. Like Mr. Bradley's Dad, I too was a Corpman in the Navy. The book is by far the best book written about the times and battles of the war. I think all of this genration should read it.
Jerry M. Cole (07/05/02)

I finished this book yesterday, the fourth of July. My father was too young to serve, but his four brothers served in the Pacific...miraculously all of them returned! They are gone now and there is great sadness in my heart that I did not exhibit more curiosity about their service during WWII. Like John Bradley in the book, they nevered discussed what they went through and I never got the chance to honor them for their sacrifice. James Bradley does great honor to his father and all men and women who have braved the horrors of war on behalf of this country. This piece of literature will allow many baby boomers to realize just how much we are in debt to "the greatest generation". After finishing Flags of Our Fathers I have vowed never to forget how precious is our freedom and to make sure that my children also understand that freedom has been purchased at a very dear price.
Melinda (06/27/02)

I am an 18 yr. old girl who is one of the few females who enjoy reading war history. It is the third war book that I have read and it was definately one of the best books that I have ever read. With it's amazing, graphic details of what war is all about. Also, it showed what heroes really are, doing something extrodinary despite the risk of your own life. I hope everyone gets a chance to read this great book cuz it was one that I could not put down.
Terry (06/20/02)

I read this and was greatly moved by the stories of all the flagraisers, especially the Author's Father. Every Father, and men in general especially young people should read this book and learn something from the grit, determination, honor, and loyalty that is portrayed in this book.
Margie (05/28/02)

This is a wonderful book; and, it should be required reading for all students in every history class in every school in the United States of America. Only then, I feel, will young people in this country fully understand and appreciate the freedoms they enjoy!
Kevin F Garcia (04/09/02)

Today I finished reading James Bradly's, Flags of our fathers. Truely this is the most moving history book that I have ever had the honor to read. Mr. Bradley masterfully transports his readers back to a more innocent period, in describing the lives of the six flagraisers. then proceeds to set the record straight, as to what really happened leading up to that 1/ 400th of a second, frozen in time, on Mount Suribachi, and just how it would consume, taunt, and invade the three survivers lives as long as they lived. I truely believe that this book should be required reading for all branches of service of the United States of America. I certainly plan on making it required reading when I graduate and begin my teaching career.
Carolyn (04/03/02)

Without a doubt the best war book I have ever read. I am 15 years old, and this book made more of an impression on me than any movie ever made could possibly have done. I felt connected with all the Marines mentioned, and cried when each one met his fate. I realized fully for the first time what our armed services do for our country, and I want to thank all of them, Army, Navy, Marines, all those who died, and all those who continue to protect our country. This book has made a lasting impression on me, and I will never forget the words I read.
Anonymous (01/18/02)

Excellently written and highly recommended. I am 28 years old and was profoundly moved by the contents of this book. So much so that I read it in 3 days and many times through a stream of tears. I felt I was graciously allowed a glimpse into the pain and the heroism of battle and began to feel I was there as if a silent comrade. I say thank you with all my heart to those who have served and survived the atrocities of war. Thank you for your service. Thank you James for drawing these memories out that we may never forget the cost and continue to honor those who serve. I hope to see and read more on WWII from you and others. Text

• Book Jacket: Call Me American

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E