What readers think of The Personal Librarian, plus links to write your own review.

The Personal Librarian

Jun 2022, 352 pages

There are currently 84 reader reviews for The Personal Librarian

Carole A. (Denver, CO)

The Secrets Held Dear
"The  Old North bell tolls the hour"  begins the book and from there I did not put it down again until the very last "whose name was Belle da Costa Greene", The next day I read it again straight through.  Benedict and Murray have created a wonderfully rich and well written look at life in the early 1900's and so much beyond.

Belle de Costa Greene was, historically, a very powerful woman and yet has never crossed my radar. The authors described a woman of great intelligence, style and depth one can never know enough about. For all the women I have read about and studied over the years this one should have crossed my radar sooner and yet did not.  What a wonder - then or now. I look forward to continued research of Greene. Greene is the product of parents who funnel into her their deep personal though divergent passions all of which allowed her to succeed.

The secrets held dear by the characters in this amazing book are no different than many of the secrets such as race, religious and sexual identity held in the world today. The strains and constraints of holding these secrets dear are highlighted by many of the characters found in this book. The prejudice highlighted by the non-secret holders are the same against race, religion and a sexual identity proving history either keeps repeating itself or humans, as a rule, do not grow.

That being said there is so very much more to The Personal Librarian!  The saga of how the Pierpoint Morgan Library grew from a small private library into the world class public institution of today primarily with the expertise of Greene, the personal librarian, and the money of J.P. Morgan along with his son Jack is fascinating.

The layers and layers of education in the areas of art, early manuscripts, fine art auctions, negotiations, politics, the early civil rights movement, "passing" for white, the suffragette movement, fashion of the day and lifestyles of the rich and famous.  Anyone of these areas would have been a fine subject standing alone and yet due to expertise of the authors it is never overwhelming.

Perhaps and needless to say this is a fabulous book!  This is a book which should be  must for all but in particular for Book Clubs who could have many hours of discussion through the many layers.
Elizabeth K. (Glenshaw, PA)

The Personal Librarian
The fascinating story of Bella Da Costa Greene begins for the reader in 1905. She went from working at the library at Princeton University to becoming the personal librarian to Junius Morgan, better known as J.P. Morgan. Even though her father was the first African American man to graduate from Harvard University, she lived her whole life as a white woman. Working with Mr. Morgan opened a whole new world for her. We read how she gained the respect of the men behind the scenes art world in the United States and Europe. Under her tutelage the private collection became the public library it is today.
Vivian H. (Winchester, VA)

Fascinating Story of an Amazing Woman
Once I started reading The Personal Librarian, I couldn't put it down and finished it the same day. What a truly remarkable story about Belle Da Costa Greene who became the personal librarian and curator of J. P. Morgan's unequaled collection of illustrated medieval manuscripts, incunabula ( books printed before 1500) and rare paintings.

Belle's father, a trailblazer himself, introduced Belle to at an early age. At one time she was one of the most successful business women in America, an outsider in numerous ways invited to and attending engagements with the New York elite of the gilded age. Yet, I'd never heard of her until reading this novel. This is a woman I would have loved to know.
Patricia L. (Seward, AK)

Personal Librarian
As a retired public librarian, I was drawn to this title for obvious reasons. Yet I was unprepared for the non-stereotypic, incredible story of Belle de Costa Greene, personal librarian to J.P. Morgan. This fictional account of Belle Marion Greener, who became de Costa Greene in order to hide her racial heritage is a history lesson both fascinating and humbling.

While "passing" is a fundamental theme in the story, the world of the rich and famous during the early 20th century is also central. A young Greene, working as a librarian at Princeton, was introduced to J.P. Morgan by his nephew, a friend of Miss Greene. The introduction was fueled by the younger Morgan's knowledge of Greene's intelligence, passion for knowledge and work ethic. These qualities were so evident to the venerable J.P. Morgan, that he almost immediately entrusted her with acquiring some of the world's most valued art and literary antiquities for his personal library. A relationship that began a lifetime career for Greene and resulted in the respected Morgan Library and Museum of today.

Bennett and Murray have done a credible job of turning Greene's story into a real-life drama. Never a shushing bespectacled matron dusting shelves, Greene was known for her clever negotiation savvy and vibrant style. The many rumors about her non-library life are teased out to reveal how the mores of the time were navigated by this consequential woman of history. This portrayal of the diminutive (in stature only) Greene and her ability to navigate a purely (white) man's world with her wit, tenacity and intelligence is unforgettable.

Recommended for those who crave learning about the courageous women of the past who were fearless in pursuit of their dreams.
Arlene

A Life Changing Experience
Before I read The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray, I had no idea that JP Morgan had a personal librarian, Belle de Costa Green. In fact, I wasn’t sure what the title entailed. Therefore not only is there a story behind the title but also a great education for the readers.

The authors gave the reader great insights into the emotional turmoil of that time period. Segregation gave Belle and her family few chances for economic survival. The light color of their skin gave her mother the opportunity to invented new “white”identities to give her family a chance to succeed. In taking these bold steps her mother ripped the family apart from a father whose entire life was fighting for racial equality as a black professor. Belle’s father leaving the family had a profound effect on Belle through her entire life. She lived in her thoughts as a person of color but her daily life was one of always watching what she said or did so her former life would stay a secret. Belle’s mother was dominant throughout the storyline. Belle experienced the “best of life” because her employer was JP Morgan. Through him, Belle became a trusted confidant and got to encounter all the best of the Gilded Age. Who knew that “libraries” could be so opulent?

The author’s provided a detailed and descriptive background for the story, even though they admitted to the “fiction” part of Belle’s life. The story was smooth and unless stated on the cover you would not suspect that there were two authors for this book. I found the book very informative and had no prior knowledge of Belle’s story. This book can be filed under historical fiction but also of art and music. I would highly recommend this book without hesitation.
Dorinne D. (Wickenburg, AZ)

An Extraordinary Woman
Another winning historical novel by Marie Benedict, this one takes place beginning in the early 1900's when Belle da Costa Greene is hired by wealthy financier J.P. Morgan to catalog, organize and assist in the acquisition of rare books and manuscripts for his personal library. With the Morgan fortune at her disposal, Belle becomes a very shrewd and successful negotiator in procuring the most sought-after items for the library. I found the book to be particularly interesting in the descriptions of the sumptuousness of the library, the fashions of the time, the paintings and other artifacts owned by the Morgans and their friends, and the preciousness of the manuscripts and tomes sought for the collection. Propelling the story throughout were Belle's secret (passing as a white woman) and the tragedy of her romantic life. Truly a novel not to be missed.
Theresa P. (Arkport, NY)

The Personal Librarian is and was a winner!
Marie Benedict and Victoria Murray have provided a compelling tale of JP Morgan's personal librarian, Belle da Costa Greene. Benedict's novels have all won my admiration, but I commend her for working on this with Murray.
The story flows from Belle, whose most difficult task is to always appear as something she is not. It was a compelling read, beautifully crafted by the authors, who made sure her image and her reality both came through for the reader.
Belle was an incredible woman, doing a magnificent job of building an extensive private collection at Morgan's behest. Morgan demanded her devotion to his library, but often to him as well. Her success was all the more magnificent in that she was female, single, raised in a poor family while working with the richest in society, and hiding a secret--her race. Her failure to comport herself in a manner acceptable to Morgan would have cost her position. Discovery of her secret in any of her social interactions would also have consequences. Belle's vibrant personality sometimes made those steps a challenge.
Belle managed to become one of the most admired women of her time, all the while having to play the part that kept her employed and successful. I would nervously turn pages when I was afraid she had made a mistake she might not survive, and happily turn pages when I was cheering her progress.
A magnificent read!
Ruth C. (Charlotte, NC)

Experiencing life through Belle's narrative challenges what we think and want to believe…
You know that feeling you have after finishing a remarkable book. I last experienced that emotional high upon completing The Library Book by Susan Orlean. Now, gratefully again, when I closed the ARC of The Personal Librarian, I felt the same rush of excitement, treasuring the book I just read while wishing for more.

Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray collaborate on this fictional tale of Belle da Costa Greene, the young woman who became J. P. Morgan's personal librarian, in charge of his Pierpont Morgan Library.

This book is a compelling reading experience for a couple of reasons. First, the quality of the writing is seductive. You feel part of Belle's journey on every page, sharing her fear, joy, the pride of accomplishment, and walking the tightrope of a light-skinned black woman assuming the life of a white woman. Second, the historical detail, which includes references to the library's growing collection and the suffragette movement, is fascinating, deftly woven into the narrative. Third, the portrayal of Belle describes her as a courageous young woman determined to use her knowledge, skills, and talent to become who she wants to be. The authors are very skillful storytellers, as this novel demonstrates.

Finally, this book's last section is a historical note that speaks to what literary license may have been exercised while writing this account, along with personal statements from Marie and Victoria. The inclusion of this material and what is shared only underlines how unique this project has been.

As I said, The Personal Librarian is a remarkable book. The comfortable writing pulls you through the story. And the experiences that are shared – powerful, enlightening, and educational. Nothing compares to seeing life from another's perspective, but the life we feel from Belle's perspective provokes considerable thought.

Belle da Costa Greene

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

The War Librarian
    by Addison Armstrong
    Emmaline Balakin believes in the power of the written word — books have changed her life. When...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Goose
    The Book of Goose
    by Yiyun Li
    Yiyun Li's The Book of Goose is a story of childhood friendship between narrator Agnès, a one-...
  • Book Jacket: Big Red
    Big Red
    by Jerome Charyn
    Jerome Charyn made his name as an author of detective novels, and over the years he has taken his ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, the inspiring new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

Book Club Giveaway!