What readers think of The Personal Librarian, plus links to write your own review.

by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray

The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray X
The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray

• Published:
    Jun 2021, 352 pages

There are currently 81 reader reviews for The Personal Librarian

Becky S. (Springfield, MO)

Trailblazer for women!
What a great book about someone that I knew nothing about! One of the reasons I love historical fiction, learning so much about the past and some magnificent and brave people. Belle de la Costa Greene, is certainly someone that I admire after reading her story. I can't even imagine the fear she lived with every day thinking that her secret might be uncovered. But she looked right into the eyes of that fear and made such a successful life for herself ... in a time when women had very little power. What a trailblazer for women!
Susan S. (Springdale, AR)

The Personal Librarian
Marie has done it again! Another amazing work of historical fiction. There are so many fascinating nuances about this little-known woman and indeed about her benefactor JP Morgan as well. This beautifully written book flows seamlessly throughout the years as Belle & JP work side by side to create an unparalleled collection of antique texts. Hidden in plain sight, Belle's true heritage threatens her career and possibly her very life. Kudos to Benedict for bringing in Victoria Christopher Murray to help bring Belle, a woman of color, to life. Thoroughly enjoyable to read! Can't wait for the next one!
Christine P. (Essex Junction, VT)

The Personal Librarian
The story of Belle da Costa Greene, the personal librarian for JP Morgan, is more than an account of the gilded era and the extraordinary Pierpont Morgan Library, which she and Mr. Morgan created together. It is the story of a woman who had to hide her true identity as a "colored" woman (Belle Marion Greener) to succeed and excel in the segregated and very prejudiced early 20th Century.

Set against the racial racial reckoning of this past year, the Personal Librarian is a timely story that not only shows us how far we have come in our struggle against racial inequality and injustice, but also reminds us how much more is left to be done.

I will definitely be recommending The Personal Librarian to my book group. It's a great story and the discussion possibilities are endless.
Nancy D. (Raleigh, NC)

A Woman's Struggle
What I love most about historical fiction is that you are twice blessed while reading the novel. One learns something new about some time or somebody in history with an added plus of a good story. This is how I feel about The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict. What a wonderful story about Belle's triumphs as an independent woman in the early 1900's. She is knowledgeable, carries the financial support of her family and is respected and trusted by one of the most influential man of the time, J. P. Morgan. Mr. Morgan not only relied on her expertise, but at times it appears that he might even have been in love with her. She accomplishes all of this while keeping the secret of her true heritage. Belle's interior struggle to be her own woman, both professionally and ethically, tells the story of a woman in conflict. She yearns to honor her father and to help her people. A genuinely good book, both enjoyable and informative.
Marianne D. (Crofton, MD)

Good book, intriguing backstory
I definitely enjoyed this book. While it is an easy read, there is much to ponder in the story and the history behind this fictionalized account. The authors' comments at the end of the book are critical.

While I'd probably give the book itself a 4.5, the story behind the story is fascinating and takes my review to a 5. Coincidentally, both of my book groups had just finished reading and discussing "The Vanishing Half." Hours could be spent discussing these two books together, even though they are different in many ways. I wish both book groups would schedule a discussion of "The Personal Librarian" in conjunction with "The Vanishing Half." I venture some comments made about "The Vanishing Half" would be re-considered and re-stated.

I was drawn to this book in part because I had read Marie Benedict's "The Only Woman in the Room." I knew "The Personal Librarian" was about the woman who built J. P. Morgan's remarkable collection of manuscripts and art, but I did not know who that woman was. This is a terrific book club book.
Ann L. (Henderson, NV)

Little known story
At least to me. Well presented and interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this story. After the past few years of being pelted daily with political stuff, I signed up for this book hesitantly. And it proved me wrong. The interaction between JP Morgan and his "librarian" is a unique and caring story. And her struggle in a 20th century world is told in a non-judgemental way. I would recommend this book to the reader inquisitive of interesting non-mainstream stories of American history whether they know of and are interested in the JP Morgan story/era or not.
Carole A. (Denver, CO)

The Secrets Held Dear
"The  Old North bell tolls the hour"  begins the book and from there I did not put it down again until the very last "whose name was Belle da Costa Greene", The next day I read it again straight through.  Benedict and Murray have created a wonderfully rich and well written look at life in the early 1900's and so much beyond.

Belle de Costa Greene was, historically, a very powerful woman and yet has never crossed my radar. The authors described a woman of great intelligence, style and depth one can never know enough about. For all the women I have read about and studied over the years this one should have crossed my radar sooner and yet did not.  What a wonder - then or now. I look forward to continued research of Greene. Greene is the product of parents who funnel into her their deep personal though divergent passions all of which allowed her to succeed.

The secrets held dear by the characters in this amazing book are no different than many of the secrets such as race, religious and sexual identity held in the world today. The strains and constraints of holding these secrets dear are highlighted by many of the characters found in this book. The prejudice highlighted by the non-secret holders are the same against race, religion and a sexual identity proving history either keeps repeating itself or humans, as a rule, do not grow.

That being said there is so very much more to The Personal Librarian!  The saga of how the Pierpoint Morgan Library grew from a small private library into the world class public institution of today primarily with the expertise of Greene, the personal librarian, and the money of J.P. Morgan along with his son Jack is fascinating.

The layers and layers of education in the areas of art, early manuscripts, fine art auctions, negotiations, politics, the early civil rights movement, "passing" for white, the suffragette movement, fashion of the day and lifestyles of the rich and famous.  Anyone of these areas would have been a fine subject standing alone and yet due to expertise of the authors it is never overwhelming.

Perhaps and needless to say this is a fabulous book!  This is a book which should be  must for all but in particular for Book Clubs who could have many hours of discussion through the many layers.
Elizabeth K. (Glenshaw, PA)

The Personal Librarian
The fascinating story of Bella Da Costa Greene begins for the reader in 1905. She went from working at the library at Princeton University to becoming the personal librarian to Junius Morgan, better known as J.P. Morgan. Even though her father was the first African American man to graduate from Harvard University, she lived her whole life as a white woman. Working with Mr. Morgan opened a whole new world for her. We read how she gained the respect of the men behind the scenes art world in the United States and Europe. Under her tutelage the private collection became the public library it is today.

Belle da Costa Greene

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Seek You
    Seek You
    by Kristen Radtke
    In the first pages of Seek You: A Journey Through American Loneliness, Kristen Radtke's sophomore ...
  • Book Jacket: The Man Who Hated Women
    The Man Who Hated Women
    by Amy Sohn
    If debates over women's reproductive health seem stuck in an earlier era — the fact that birth...
  • Book Jacket: The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois
    The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois
    by Honorée Fannone Jeffers
    Honorée Fannone Jeffers' The Love Songs of W.E.B. Du Bois explores the Black experience in ...
  • Book Jacket: Beautiful World, Where Are You
    Beautiful World, Where Are You
    by Sally Rooney
    Beautiful World, Where Are You centers around four key characters, the most prominent of which are ...

In Every Mirror She's Black
by Lola Akinmade Akerstrom
An arresting debut for anyone looking for insight into what it means to be a Black woman in the world.

Blind Man's Bluff
    by James Tate Hill

A writer's humorous and often-heartbreaking tale of losing his sight—and how he hid it from the world.

The Last Chance Library
    by Freya Sampson

Fans of libraries and heartfelt, humorous fiction won't want to miss this one!

Win This Book!
Win A Most Clever Girl

A Most Clever Girl by Stephanie Marie Thornton

A thrilling novel of love and espionage, based on the incredible true story of a Cold War double agent.

Run T G