What readers think of The Personal Librarian, plus links to write your own review.

The Personal Librarian

Jun 29, 2021, 352 pages

There are currently 79 reader reviews for The Personal Librarian

Beth S. (Ft. Pierce, FL)

Unpredictable Title By Marie Benedict
Marie Benedict's historical fiction novels provide pleasurable surprises. THE PERSONAL LIBRARIAN adds elements of mystery. The writing duo of Victoria Christopher Murray and Marie Benedict immersed me in the professional and personal life of J. P. Morgan's librarian, Belle da Costa Greene. What a dream position for a young woman of modest upbringing! Life at the turn of the last century was challenging for many women: changing laws about women's votes and limited education. Prestigious Morgan's art collector and buyer of his treasures, Belle kept an intriguing secret. She was extremely successful but private. Please don't forget the historical and author notes at the end of this profound book.
anonymous

the personal librarian
I enjoyed the book. While I was reading I didn't know that this was based on an actual person. It was amazing to see what she had to go through as a woman and a person of color to live and work during that time. I'm not sure that things have changed enough. I would recommend it for book clubs as it would generate several topics to discuss.
CaroleNatickMa

Personal Librarian
This is an incredible book about an amazing woman. A young black woman passing as white, entered the world of J.P. Morgan and conquered it. Taking a job as J.P.Morgan's personal secretary, she proceeded to help him create and build the Pierpoint Morgan Library. Based on a real woman, this fictional account brings to light and life Belle de Costa Greene. Amazing on so many levels, Personal Librarian is not a book to be missed. Never mind that the writing is excellent, the story is fascinating.
Charlene M. (Myrtle Beach, SC)

The Personal Librarian
The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict & Victoria Christopher Murray blends the angst of trying to fit into, not just a male dominated world, but a white world as well.
In 1905, Belle Greene's mother has decided to give up her heritage as a black woman, to give her children the advantages of education & jobs that are available to only a few. Belle gets a highly coveted job to be JP Morgan's personal librarian. Marie Benedict at her best.
Nona F. (Evanston, IL)

Perfect tale for Hollywood biopic
If Belle da Costa Greene, born Belle Marion Greener, had not existed, Hollywood would have had to invent her, and many people would have thought the story pure fiction co-authors Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray have written a riveting fictionalized biography of a fascinating woman, the daughter of a prominent black Reconstruction-era civil rights activist, who lived most of her life passing white in New York City as millionaire J. P. Morgan's personal librarian.

Without formal training, Greene was the force that shaped the important Morgan collection of medieval manuscripts and early modern books for over forty years, and helped steer the Morgan family into opening the collection to the general public. A fascinating story in itself, Belle da Costa Greene's circumstances and inner monologues give an unusual double view of white privilege at a time even more intolerant of "the other" than today. Largely forgotten today and hardly recognized at the institution she led for decades, Greene is a figure deserving of greater recognition, which this compelling novel should achieve.
Kristen H. (New Bern, NC)

Hiding yet in plain sight
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very enlightening to read. Everytime I sat down to read, it felt like I was sitting down with a good friend. I really took my time with this book because I didn't want it to end.

The two authors really complimented each other and did a great job with being as historically accurate as possible.

I myself cannot imagine having to hide who or where I came from and it really opened my eyes as to how fortunate I am.

Love this book and would recommend it to book clubs for a great discussion in a most proper way.
Susan P. (Mount Vernon, WA)

A Librarian who is extraordinary
This book grabbed me from the start and through to the end. Couldn't stop reading it. The history is amazing, the woman who curates the library is fascinating. It's also a story of survival at great personal cost. Don't want to give away the ending so just pick up this book and start reading. You won't regret it.
Donna T. (Amarillo, TX)

Inspiring
Marie Benedict and Victoria Murray collaborate in this novel about Belle da Costa Greene who was chosen in 1905 by J. P. Morgan to oversee his private collection of rare manuscripts, books and art. Against this historical and fascinating backdrop is the story of Belle's determination to succeed in a man's world, especially in the world of J.P Morgan.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Whereabouts
    Whereabouts
    by Jhumpa Lahiri
    Jhumpa Lahiri's Whereabouts has seen numerous comparisons to Second Place by Rachel Cusk. These two ...
  • Book Jacket: Swimming Back to Trout River
    Swimming Back to Trout River
    by Linda Rui Feng
    Linda Rui Feng's first novel, Swimming Back to Trout River, is a powerful meditation on the ties ...
  • Book Jacket: The Unfit Heiress
    The Unfit Heiress
    by Audrey Farley
    During the American eugenics movement (see Beyond the Book), involuntary sterilization was used to ...
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...

The Book of Lost Names
by Kristin Harmel
A heartrending novel of survival, inspired by an astonishing true story from World War II.

Everybody
    by Olivia Laing

"Impassioned and provocative...[an] intensely moving, vital and artful book."
    —The Guardian

Ariadne
    by Jennifer Saint

A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

Our wisdom comes from our experience, and our experience comes from our foolishness

H I T Best P