Reader reviews and comments on The Pilot's Wife, plus links to write your own review.

The Pilot's Wife

by Anita Shreve

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve X
The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Mar 1999, 293 pages
    Mar 1999, 293 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for The Pilot's Wife

michel (10/10/04)

i thought it was a little to grown up
Veronica (08/28/04)

I'd heard great reviews about this book, but I found it to be quite boring. Initially, I couldn't put it down. After a few chapters that feeling quickly changed. I thought the story was unrealistic. I find it hard to believe that a husband could've actually pulled that off for almost five years with no suspicions from a wife.
Nicole (08/01/04)

Nicole, 14
I really enjoyed this book, but some bits were confusing. Surely Jack would have slipped up some time in the four and a half years he was married to Muire. They kept on talking about whether or not he was guilty of the bomb on the plane, and they eventually reached the conclusion <<edited for potential plot spoiler content>>. I thought the way Shreve used descriptive language was amazing, but the reaction of Kathryn wasn't as accurate as it probably would have been in real life. If i found out my husband had married someone else 4 and a half years earlier and went on to have a family with her, i'd probably flip. Over all i really enjoyed reading it, it was the first book i've read of Anita Shreve's and i've already read another one!
Sarah Hunt (04/20/04)

I loved this book.
It really sucked me into it.
I loved the words and the description of the book.
I think it was fabulous.
Anonymous (03/30/04)

The book had potential to be really interesting and quite explosive! Great concepts of love, betrayal, grief, intrigue and possible tension. these were never fully explored except for grief. I found the book too slow to begin with and not enough detail in the end.
Anonymous (02/28/04)

It was boring at first, but it got interesting as i turned the pages!: )
Mimi (12/17/03)

As i began reading the pilot's wife, i couldnt help being slightly dispapointed once i reached to back cover. I was told by many people that the book was very intriging. But it seemed to drag on. The book would have been rather instrinsting if there were a twist to the second wife.
Linsay (11/24/03)

I really don't understand what the big deal is with this book. I know Anita Shreve is a great author because I've heard of her name and seen her books in book stores. Recently, I had finished reading all the books of my favourite author (Ken Follett) and was in search for a new author.
I thought 'A Pilot's Wife' would be a good book as it had received raving reviews. Well, only the first chapter was interesting. I don't understand how some people can say that they can't put the book down. I down find her plot riveting at all. I can easily put the book down.
The language is superb of course, but the book is boring. There is not much research done, only a lot of playing with words and emotions. It is also very slow and maybe to ethereal. I think the mood of the book is too concentrated on that. Alot of small boring issues like going to see the priest were kept very lengthy.
I don't think many boys would be interested to read this sort of book.

• Book Jacket: American Histories

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes