Reader reviews and comments on The Pilot's Wife, plus links to write your own review.

The Pilot's Wife

by Anita Shreve

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Mar 1999, 293 pages
    Mar 1999, 293 pages

There are currently 33 reader reviews for The Pilot's Wife

Veronica (08/28/04)

I'd heard great reviews about this book, but I found it to be quite boring. Initially, I couldn't put it down. After a few chapters that feeling quickly changed. I thought the story was unrealistic. I find it hard to believe that a husband could've actually pulled that off for almost five years with no suspicions from a wife.
Nicole (08/01/04)

Nicole, 14
I really enjoyed this book, but some bits were confusing. Surely Jack would have slipped up some time in the four and a half years he was married to Muire. They kept on talking about whether or not he was guilty of the bomb on the plane, and they eventually reached the conclusion <<edited for potential plot spoiler content>>. I thought the way Shreve used descriptive language was amazing, but the reaction of Kathryn wasn't as accurate as it probably would have been in real life. If i found out my husband had married someone else 4 and a half years earlier and went on to have a family with her, i'd probably flip. Over all i really enjoyed reading it, it was the first book i've read of Anita Shreve's and i've already read another one!
Sarah Hunt (04/20/04)

I loved this book.
It really sucked me into it.
I loved the words and the description of the book.
I think it was fabulous.
Anonymous (03/30/04)

The book had potential to be really interesting and quite explosive! Great concepts of love, betrayal, grief, intrigue and possible tension. these were never fully explored except for grief. I found the book too slow to begin with and not enough detail in the end.
Anonymous (02/28/04)

It was boring at first, but it got interesting as i turned the pages!: )
Mimi (12/17/03)

As i began reading the pilot's wife, i couldnt help being slightly dispapointed once i reached to back cover. I was told by many people that the book was very intriging. But it seemed to drag on. The book would have been rather instrinsting if there were a twist to the second wife.
Linsay (11/24/03)

I really don't understand what the big deal is with this book. I know Anita Shreve is a great author because I've heard of her name and seen her books in book stores. Recently, I had finished reading all the books of my favourite author (Ken Follett) and was in search for a new author.
I thought 'A Pilot's Wife' would be a good book as it had received raving reviews. Well, only the first chapter was interesting. I don't understand how some people can say that they can't put the book down. I down find her plot riveting at all. I can easily put the book down.
The language is superb of course, but the book is boring. There is not much research done, only a lot of playing with words and emotions. It is also very slow and maybe to ethereal. I think the mood of the book is too concentrated on that. Alot of small boring issues like going to see the priest were kept very lengthy.
I don't think many boys would be interested to read this sort of book.
Sarah (09/26/03)

I am currently studying Anita Shreve for my dissertation in Advanced Higher English and have read most of her work. I fell in love with Fortune's Rocks and Sea Glass. However, The Pilot's Wife didn't quite live up to the reputation she has made of herself. I agree that her storytelling skills are fabulous, but I don't think it is her best. I do recommend everyone to read Fortune's Rocks, Sea Glass or The Last Time They Met! These are examples of true literary genius!

Sarah Humphrey (17) Scotland.

• Book Jacket: The End of Eddy

by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T's A S B Every M