MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Stone Girl, plus links to write your own review.

The Stone Girl

Jun 2020, 480 pages

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Stone Girl

MB Krumel

Best summer read!
Hands down this is the best book I have read so far this year!
Patricia W. (Homewood, AL)

Broken beauty, but restored
I really liked this book. It is about two women, who are very different, but bond in a lifetime friendship. They become obsessed with righting the wrongs done to other women and themselves. The story is very compelling and keeps the readers interest from beginning to end.
While the Stone Girl is a broken statue, she represents how beauty may be broken and restored, but a person or an object cannot be fully replaced. None of us are the same afterwards.
Marybeth T. (Bellingham, WA)

This is so Good!!!
I loved this book. It is one of my best of the year. It's a slow burn type of book that gets better and better the further you get. I loved all the female characters and despised most of the men but a couple.

This wasn't a page turner until about half way and then it just lit up. I loved the setting and the writing. It's just an all around hit for me.
Molly B. (Longmont, CO)

A Topical Page Turner
What a fun read - no downtime, nothing boring, all fascinating characters and action and plot twists. Wittenberg has given us a creative story that is far-fetched but with some imagination, could maybe be plausible. The characters are all extremes which make them interesting. Some are flawed and decent, and some are flawed and bad. Not much subtlety, but lots of fun to read. I want more like this!
Colleen L. (Casco, ME)

Totally Riveting
When I read the book "Jurassic Park", all I could think of was how great a movie the book would make. I feel EXACTLY the same way with "Stone Girl". It would make a suspenseful movie as it has many interesting aspects. It's coming of age; rich man vs poor man; and current with today's "me too" movement. The action is very fast paced and the characters are well developed. The action in the forest made me think of "Deliverance". I would dearly love to see this movie!

Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Once I started reading, I could not stop. I did not see the ending coming...expecting something completely different. The author provided good characterizations for the individuals in the novel. I felt I knew them personally and I was totally on the edge of my seat throughout the book. A great book to keep your attention focused during our current stressful times. A must read book!

I strongly recommend this book....especially to readers who love mysteries. Special thanks to the publisher who found a way to provide this ARC to us electronically because of COVID.
Vivian H. (Winchester, VA)

Loved This Book
The Stone Girl intrigued me from the first page. It is the story of abuse, misogyny, the cruelties of humans, the wide spread influence of the 1 behind closed doors amid exclusive clubs, schools & financial institutions. It is also a tale of survival, fortitude, friendship, family, resilience, generosity, determination and the fact that decisions often fall within those gray areas where there is no true delineation of black & white or right & wrong. This story truly resonated with me.
Karen S. (Allston, MA)

Murder and so much more
I enjoyed this book ,and it would have been a great read even if I did not need a good distraction during a long period of self-quarantining! Believable characters and many plot twists in wild scenarios—but somehow, not entirely preposterous. Good writing to create a sense of place and just enough history to provide good context the present dramas in the story. This story is about love, friendship, revenge, justice, fear, power—all the makings of a great read. Eve Quimby is a likeable protagonist, and I was rooting for her from the start.

I would definitely recommend this to people who like a good mystery, and perhaps need a good beach read. I had the luxury of being able to stay up late reading to complete is rather quickly, which I did. The 5-star review is in reference to books of this genre.
Ruth H. (Sebring, FL)

Action Packed
Dirk Wittenborn really knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat! The cast of characters are so well described, each location lends to the action and I could visualize that action. The plot and storyline were well developed. Just when you thought one thing happened, surprise!, it went another way. It's a long read with complex character relationships and some profanity, but it's so worth reading. It is now one of my favorite books, looking forward to many more books from Dirk!

Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...
  • Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...
    Cantoras
    by Carolina De Robertis
    Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis follows five characters who share a house, troubles, joys and parts...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Of Bears and Ballots

An Alaskan Adventure in Small-Town Politics

A charming account of holding local office with an entertaining, quirky cast of characters.

A S Louder T W