MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Stone Girl, plus links to write your own review.

by Dirk Wittenborn

The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn X
The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn

• Published:
    Jun 2020, 480 pages

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Stone Girl

Bonne O. (Hartwell, GA)

The Stone Girl
This is a gripping story about three women who share different forms of abuse by men and their struggle to achieve some sense of justice. Their initial efforts are thwarted by powerful men with rank and wealth who are masters at controlling the dialogue.

But through their cunning and dogged digging into the backgrounds of the manipulators they are able to expose a covert brotherhood of males and their misdeeds.

Eventually all is exposed, but there is a sobering reality when the truth and justice collide.

I think this subject would be of great interest to a book club.
Amy E. (Delaware, OH)

Wrong place, wrong time.
Evie Quimby and her adoptive parents Flo and Buddy live in a log cabin in the Adirondacks. Evie and Buddy are outdoors people and this seems a wonderful place for her to grow up, however the author has other ideas.
Being in the wrong place at the wrong time leads to a page turning journey from a log cabin, to Valhalla (Lulu Mannheim's estate), to the Mohawk Club, to New York, to Paris and back again.
I loved the book and spent more than one night reading into the wee hours. It was a well-written page turner!
Loren B. (Appleton, WI)

Timely
This timely and revealing tale of the horrific deeds inflicted by a group of self-entitled toxic males was well written with characters that were realistic non-stereotypes. I think that this would make the story appealing to both males and females.

The story was told from the perspective of different time lines and characters which gave a good understanding of the background of events.

I would highly recommend this book.
Kim K.

Fast and Entertaining
My husband read this book before I did, and encouraged me to pick it up as well. When he asked me my opinion, I replied, "Do you want my personal opinion or my technical one?"

From a personal standpoint, I loved this book. It was a perfect dose of escapism and exactly the kind of fast-moving, not-terribly-deep novel I needed right now. As such, it's a 5/5 for me.

That said, I found the plot pretty convoluted and improbable, so if I think too much about it I kind of roll my eyes at the twists and turns it took. From that standpoint it was a good solid 3/5 for me.

... and so my final score is a compromise at 4/5.
Amy S. (Tucson, AZ)

Revenge Served Stone Cold
Unlikely alliances, meticulous planning, out of the box thinking, deep family love, and more money than God are STILL almost no match for men of privilege. I admit to feeling discouraged throughout the book, specifically by "the ol' good boy network" and the fact that this is still even a thing.

Dirk Wittenborn has created four incredibly strong, incredibly different female characters who joinn forces to expose one man and his horrible behavior, but end up discovering a NETWORK of men and THEIR horrible behavior, protected by money, class, and one another. What the men will do to preserve their privilege is unnerving (and disgusting and disappointing), but also, sadly, somewhat believable.

Wittenborn effectively turned his setting into a powerful character as well. Breathtakingly beautiful and equally harsh, nature and place played a role in the in the fight for truth and justice.

While there were moments of predictability, The Stone Girl provided plenty of twists and turns that kept me emotionally engaged with the characters, the setting, and the message.
Jan B. (Sulphur, OK)

Intriguing page turner
I enjoyed this book from the very beginning and feel it will be a great success. The friendship between the two main characters was a little surprising but the bond they built became believable as the story came to life. I would recommend this book and feel the author had some well hidden surprises.
Crumb

An Excellent Book!
I honestly couldn't put this book down. I was fascinated with Evie Quimbey, from the Adirondacks. She was one of the most unique protagonists I've ever come across. She was quite a courageous and strong heroine. I've never read a book like this one and it will be memorable for days to come.
Susan B. (Cape Coral, FL)

Girl Power=Stone Girl
From a terrible rape that goes unreported comes a tale of intrigue, murder, revenge, and justice. The list of characters is long but the main women are Flo, Evie, Lulu, and Chloe. The plot is amazingly full of twist and turns I never saw coming. I am not a big fan of mystery books but this one held my attention, although at times I found the situations to be a little unreasonable. It is a story that will keep you guessing, when you think you have it figured out it will make another turn. All in all a good read.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: The Stone Girl
    by Dirk Wittenborn
    The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn was a hit with our First Impressions reviewers, with 19 out of 21 ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Train to Key West
    The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton
    The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton received very positive comments from our First ...
  • Book Jacket: Tokyo Ueno Station
    Tokyo Ueno Station
    by Yu Miri
    Kazu is a ghost, seemingly condemned to haunt one of Japan's busiest train stations, the grounds of ...
    Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Wedding Thief

The Wedding Thief
by Mary Simses

Funny, soulful, and as sweet as buttercream, The Wedding Thief is the perfect summer read.

N M Cup O T