Reader reviews and comments on The Stone Girl, plus links to write your own review.

by Dirk Wittenborn

The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn X
The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn

• Published:
    Jun 2020, 480 pages

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Stone Girl

Pamela W. (Piney Flats, TN)

Action Packed
I've always been suspicious of men writing a book with strong female characters, but that's my issue. The female protagonists are strong but flawed; that makes them real. I kept wondering if they were men, would the book be as effective. No. At the end, Dirk Wittenborn thanks his wife and daughter for their coaching about violence against women.
This review is a little rambling; maybe because we're in the middle of Shelter-at-Home. I looked forward to picking up the book to read both morning and night.
Ann L. (Park City, UT)

Enjoyable page turner
However not at all original. The characters and the plot are easy to follow, and the ending was as expected. If you are looking for a good beach read with a plot of intelligent nasty people who encounter simple good people, this is a good slightly off mainstream book. Four stars as plot was unoriginal.
Freya H. (Towanda, PA)

The Stone Girl
A good read, all of the characters, both good and evil, are interestingly presented, and the plot kept one turning pages. I would recommend for Book Groups.
R Morgan

A Good Read
A good thriller that is part coming-of-age story, part women's rights (Me Too Movement), and part pathways to overcoming adversity through correcting or lessening wrongs. At times predictable but otherwise a good plot with interesting characters. I did however find it puzzling that in the Acknowledgements section the author said he most of all wanted to thank his wife and daughter for opening his eyes to the omnipresence of male violence toward women and the harmful effect it casts over all our lives. I would have thought that by now, in these times, he would have been aware of those facts on his own. In the end, I would recommend this novel because of the unique and quirky characters and a plot that keeps you wondering what is going to happen next.
Dorothy L. (Manalapan, NJ)

A Disappointing Read
I did not enjoy this book. I found it much too long and I really didn't like the characters that much although I sometimes felt sympathy for the three main women. There seemed to be several stories in one larger overall story and the plot seemed very unrealistic especially the many escapes of Evie from innumerable life threatening situations. This is one book that might be better as a movie. I did like the last few chapters but most of the novel seemed like a soap opera on steroids!
Lois K. (St. George, UT)

The Stone Girl
The Stone Girl is a fairly good read. Lots of plots twists and turns. The characters are interesting and things move along. I rated this book average because some aspects of the plot seem unrealistic and overblown. Also, it's primarily about an un-empowered, abused woman fighting back against an evil group of men. Unfortunately, I'm getting very tired of that story line.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...
  • Book Jacket: We Have Been Harmonized
    We Have Been Harmonized
    by Kai Strittmatter
    You'd be forgiven if, while reading We Have Been Harmonized, you momentarily mistook it for a ...
  • Book Jacket: Jack
    Jack
    by Marilynne Robinson
    If you are a fan of Marilynne Robinson's Gilead series, you already know who Jack is. Chances are, ...
  • Book Jacket: Migrations
    Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    Migrations, Australian author Charlotte McConaghy's literary fiction debut, earned a notably high ...

Ruthie Fear
    by Maxim Loskutoff

In this haunting parable of the American West, a young woman faces the violent past of her remote Montana valley.

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C