MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Yellow Bird Sings, plus links to write your own review.

The Yellow Bird Sings

by Jennifer Rosner

The Yellow Bird Sings by Jennifer Rosner X
The Yellow Bird Sings by Jennifer Rosner

Mar 2020, 304 pages
    Mar 2, 2021, 304 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for The Yellow Bird Sings

Maribeth R. (Indianapolis, IN)

Good Start; Disappointing Finish
This book was hard for me to assess. I began with positive feelings as the story of the mother and daughter unfolded. Their stay in the barn will vividly remain with me. However, the remainder of the book left me feeling disjointed and perplexed. Even though I continue to tell myself that this feeling actually shows that the writer has conveyed the plight of the mother and child and their difficult and disjointed story to me, it was not the type of book that kept me on edge to the end. The simplistic sentence structure left me wishing for more, and I felt total disappointment to have the story jump to its conclusion with so many missing parts. I will just say that this writer and I were not on the same track, and as much as I wanted to love the book, I couldn't get there.
Constance C. (Bristol, RI)

Very difficult book to read
This book is based on the plight of Jewish children hidden during World War 2 in Poland. A mother and daughter are hidden in a barn, the day comes when the mother must make the sacrifice of letting her go, because the child can be hidden in a convent. The book is about the triumph of hope during dark times. The daughter's music is her hope of finding mother. The book is beautifully written, but it is bleak to read. I really did not enjoy it because it is constant danger and pain. I can't recommend, one must decide for oneself.

• Book Jacket: Hamnet
    Hamnet
    by Maggie O'Farrell
    William Shakespeare's name is never used in Hamnet — a conspicuous absence around which Maggie...
  • Book Jacket: After the Last Border
    After the Last Border
    by Jessica Goudeau
    According to the United Nations Refugee Agency, the number of displaced people around the world is ...
  • Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Alex Landragin
    Crossings is a beautiful, if slightly messy, time-bending debut. It reads like a vampire novel, sans...
  • Book Jacket: Pew
    Pew
    by Catherine Lacey
    A quote often attributed to Leo Tolstoy states that "All great literature is one of two stories; a ...

Hieroglyphics
    by Jill McCorkle

A mesmerizing novel about piecing together the hieroglyphics of history and memory.

With or Without You
    by Caroline Leavitt

A moving novel about twists of fate, the shifting terrain of love, and coming into your own.

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

The the story of one tough-as-nails girl whose choices are few but whose fight is boundless.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M