MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Yellow Bird Sings, plus links to write your own review.

The Yellow Bird Sings

by Jennifer Rosner

The Yellow Bird Sings by Jennifer Rosner X
The Yellow Bird Sings by Jennifer Rosner

Mar 2020, 304 pages
    Mar 2, 2021, 304 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for The Yellow Bird Sings

Sandra H. (St. Cloud, MN)

Do No Forget
I remember a young Polish refugee who would babysit for me and my sister and brother. One time she told us how she had escaped from a rail car in Eastern Europe that was destined for a Nazi death camp. I also recall my mother collecting clothes and shoes to send to Europe for refugees. Add to that the novels such as Rosner's that I have read set during WWII and they have informed my picture of WWII refugees.

Rosner effectively takes us into that world through the life of a young mother, and her daughter Shira during their precarious life in Nazi-occupied Poland. The vivid descriptions of their experiences help us to see and feel the dangers they face which can quickly end in death or incarceration that was designed to punish those part of the Nazi regime.

"The Yellow Bird Sings" reminds us how dangerous it was for those in Europe during that time. I strongly recommend this novel!
Carol T. (Ankeny, IA)

I wish there were 6 stars
Just as I was about to give up on WWII novels (OK, this year's overhyped novels in general), The Yellow Bird Sings landed in my mailbox. This book made my reading year! (Maybe next year, too.)
Ann B. (Bethlehem, PA)

A Musical Concerto
The Yellow Bird Sings by Jennifer Rosner is a tribute to the resilience of human nature and the bond between a mother and daughter. Rosener seamlessly weaves the lives of Rosa and her daughter Shira together like a beautiful piano concerto. First, the right-hand plays its notes followed by the left-hand, then collectively, the cords play heart aching while beautiful music. In this way, Rosa and Shira's story follow closely, sometimes paragraph by paragraph to each other. We never lose sight of either one as their heartbreaking tale unfolds. The Yellow Bird Sings will be on many bestseller lists as well as in the circles of countless book groups.
Gail B. (Albuquerque, NM)

A SUCCESS
THE YELLOW BIRD SINGS might have been just another World War II book, but this one is spectacular. A prodigy violinist who was able to develop in the midst of chaos, amazing. The loving connection between mother and daughter, extraordinary. The mother's work to keep her daughter occupied and quiet, imaginative. The separation of the two and their efforts to find each other, heartbreaking. The need for connection to another person, so true. Can't wait for the book to be released so I can share it with my book club. Congratulations to Jennifer Rosner.
April T. (Cheyenne, WY)

Great Book!
I thought this was a great book! I've always been interested in World War 2 stories, and this one definitely did not disappoint. The bond between a mother and her child is an incredible thing, and this story told just that.
Lois P. (Hillsborough, NC)

A Jewel
I really enjoyed Rosner's creative and beautifully written novel, The Yellow Bird Sings. She gives us a new window concerning female survival during the hardships of WWII. The mother-daughter pair use their determination, love and imagination to find a way to live under unique hardships.

I particularly enjoyed the way the love for music maintains itself as a lifeline in this jewel of a book.
Colleen L. (Casco, ME)

As a mother, what would you do?
A heartbreaking story about a Jewish mother who hides her daughter in a cold barn to survive Nazi soldiers. Shira, the daughter, has to be absolutely silent along with her mother Roza to ensure they are not located. Yes, the owners of the barn know they are there but they too will be killed if Roza and Shira are found. The things Roza had to do to survive; the food, or lack thereof, to survive; and the absolute terror they lived with day after day of being discovered cannot be totally comprehended.

Although the story is fiction, we know from historical records that many Jewish parents faced the same dilemma that Roza faced during the Holocaust. A horrible choice eventually...keep Shira by your side or send her away to safety.

This is a moving story by Rosner. Once you start the story, you cannot stop. As a mother, you can empathize with Roza's decisions and Rosner's evocative writing will have you feeling Roza's pain as if it were your own. The ending is magnificent.

I was gifted this book by Bookbrowse. I always ask for books concerning the Holocaust as I learn new facts with about the war with each book I read. This book did an amazing job highlighting the terror and distress that a parent would have relinquishing their children even if it were for their safety.

This is an amazing book. I loved it. It took me a while to start another book after it because this one stayed on my mind for quite a while. I applaud Jennifer Rosner for her writing skills. The book moves the reader and I predict it will be a best seller and a great book club selection. Buy the book. You will not be disappointed.
Shelley C. (Eastport, NY)

A Beautiful Story
So many books have been written about the Holocaust. So many compelling stories have been told; some even based on factual occurrences. What makes this book stand out, is the beautiful, almost lyrical way it is written.

The story tells of the bond between mother and child, their love of music, and their efforts to survive during the most dire of circumstances. In some ways, I found it reminiscent of "The Pianist".

Somewhere in the middle of the book, I predicted how it would end. But that didn't stop my tears from flowing throughout. I dare anyone who reads, "The Yellow Bird Sings", not to cry!

I recommend this story to everyone and anyone with a heart. I only hope the publisher hypes it sufficiently, so that as many people as possible can share in the heartbreak and joy of this marvelous book. It is truly outstanding.

• Book Jacket: Waiting for an Echo
    Waiting for an Echo
    by Christine Montross
    Dr. Christine Montross had been a practicing psychiatrist for nearly a decade when she decided to ...
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...
  • Book Jacket: The Color of Air
    The Color of Air
    by Gail Tsukiyama
    Daniel was raised in Hilo, Hawaii by Japanese immigrant parents. Having traveled to the U.S. ...
    The Volunteer
    by Jack Fairweather
    Though many found The Volunteer a challenging read, First Impressions responses were overwhelmingly ...

He Started It
    by Samantha Downing

A new thriller from the twisted mind behind the mega hit My Lovely Wife.

The Woman Before Wallis
    by Bryn Turnbull

The true story of the American divorcée who captured the Prince's heart before Wallis.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M